Allpar Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Volkswagen Jetta
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
UPDATE:

The MIL turned off on it's own prior to any troubleshooting done.

Troubleshooting steps that have been taken so far.

1. Tested Battery for health. Pre-start voltage, voltage drop during crank, and a load test. It passed all three. (battery rated at 700CCA tested at 615CCA).
  2. Tested charging system health. 14.4 V at battery nd 14.5V at alternator output.
  3. Removed battery and air box to inspect wiring.
  4. Two grounding points on the chassis, were inspected, removed, cleaned and reconnected testing for resistance and voltage drop across the connection.
  5. Battery terminals had light corrosion (white powder) and were cleaned.
  6. Transmission harness was inspected for damage. None found.
  7. Resistance readings and test for voltage drop checked from PCM/TCM connector to trans connector. (all voltage drop tests were done while wiring was static and during manipulation. All checks out.
  8. Found wiring repair done with scotch blocks to driver side High Beam headlamp. Will be checking system and properly repairing the wiring at a future date.
  9. Inspected TIPM for obvious signs of damage/failure.
After all was said and done, I reset the DTCs and test drove the vehicle without any issue. My grandmother has driven the vehicle since with no further issues as well.

Going to give it a week or so of normal driving then check for DTCs in the powertrain module and go from there.

·
Registered
2003 Volkswagen Jetta
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have went over all of the codes from the scan. With the exception of the P0218 and U0814 (Aftermarket Radio Installed) the rest of the codes could be attributed to the TIPM. That, and the fact that someone prior had rigged the Driver side high-beam. (Also reflected in B1633 and B1634 / High Beam Control Circuit codes).

Sometime this next week I am going to remove and inspect the TIPM.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Keep in mind that the 06 PT was the first year that the TIPM was used. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you don't. I don't know of any way to test them, but as Rick mentioned earlier, Myckee sells and reprograms the TIPM's for PT's. He's a stand up dude and guarantees his stuff. IF all else fails, reach out to him and see if he has one or can possibly take yours and repair it.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts