Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, on this car, the electric radiator fan comes on without the key being on. This first happened when I moved my PT from the driveway to the street in the morning(cold engine in other words). I restarted the engine several times and the fan went off. Another time under the same circumstances the fan would not turn off until I pulled the + battery cable off. Then, no problems for about 2-3 months. Today after driving about 8 miles, I turned the car off,(fan was not running when I left the car) went inside a store for about 30-40 minutes and when I came out the fan was on and the battery was too low to start the car. I got a jump, drove home, turned the car off and everything was fine. I started the car several times in a row, and each time it was fine, with the fan not staying on. I did not have the a/c on at all today and the temp gauge was normal. Any comments?

·
Registered
14 Posts
fan operation is controlled by the TIPM. As long as there are no DTC's I would have to say that the fan is shorting or the circuits back to the TIPM are shorting to ground. Fan feed is B+ hot at all times. Take a good look at the harnass between fan and TIPM and make sure nothing is rubbed through- if okay, time for a fan.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. TIPM fault codes can't be read with an ordinary engine code reader and would need an advanced scan tool to read and reset them.
If the temperature and A/C selection logic information to the TIPM is telling the TIPM not to turn on the fan and the fan is on, then the solid state rad fan driver (there is no relay) in the TIPM may be shorted on.
The TIPM is serviced as an assembly and has to be configured VIN-specifically to your PT if TIPM replacement is necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your tips. I will check it out next week. Luckily I have other Mopars to drive.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
IF your PT has a fan relay, I'd check it. It sound like it could be sticking from time to time and needs replacing. That is if it has one, I don't know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts