Allpar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 2006 used pt cruiser 66 special edition from a regular guy four months ago. After a day of purchased the engine light came on and the car went on "limp mode". I took it to a mechanic for diagnostic and he told me that I have to change the solenoid, and that I can do it myself and save some money. So, I got the part refurbished and I invested $160.00 for the part plus coolant and freon because we had to take the radiator out to change the solenoid; however, the problem still. Subsequently, I decided to take further diagnostic and I took the car to an authorized dealer, they charged me $200.00 for the diagnostic and over the phone they told me that I have to replace either the Tipm, TCM, and ECM that will cost me $900.00 + tax. Nevertheless, I can't afford that can of money for a repair. So, after a lot of online research I saw this video where you can replace the ECM on your own which I did after spent $50.00 on a used ECM and $120.00 for "flash". needless to say the problem still, and I run out of money, I already spent $540.00.
I need some help.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Stop replacing parts.
Let's begin with the actual fault code(s). It should begin with a 'P' followed by 4 numbers.
Diagnose first.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
I agree with IC. Shotgunning parts at one can get very expensive and frustrating in a hurry. Post the P codes and let someone who knows about them tell you what they are. Any time I have a transmission shift issue, the first thing I do is change the fluid and filter. It HAS to be Mopar ATF+4 fluid too. If someone put the wrong fluid in the transmission, you could have problems.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
What solenoid did you replace? Did the dealer give you any P codes? They should be able to provide them as you paid for the diagnostics.

Replacing the TIPM, ECM and TCM are last resort measures. You should rule out all other possibilities first.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Totally agree with getting the codes. Many auto parts stores will read the codes at no charge and most will be able to pull the codes from the transmission controller as well (e.g. autozone by me can do both). If you replaced the transmission control solenoid you should have had some trans fluid spill out (as noted, only atf+4 should be used). A bit after the fact, but I replaced the trans control solenoid by removing the battery and battery support bracket and working from the top.

How many miles on the PT?

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue. Haven't had the money to try replacing anything yet, just trying to figure out what's wrong. The two codes I have are P0700 and P0562.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,488 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
How old is the battery? The computers on these cars are very sensitive to the proper voltage, 12.6 not running and around 14 with the motor running. There is a ground point on the left fender (remove the air cleaner) that has a tendency to corrode. Pull it off and thoroughly clean the contacts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having troubles with my 2006 other convertible, shifting, limp mode. Changed the battery and is currently in the shop . 44800 miles. Toke to auto part store and code stated transmission modeler. Same story as others. What to do?

·
Super Moderator
38,722 Posts
I am having troubles with my 2006 other convertible, shifting, limp mode. Changed the battery and is currently in the shop . 44800 miles. Toke to auto part store and code stated transmission modeler. Same story as others. What to do?
Your first step would be to get the actual codes from the scan and post them here.

Reactions: Doug D
1 - 10 of 10 Posts