Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Have not yet gotten into the diagnostics that we have been discussing but did notice yesterday that sometimes the PRNDL is not all lit. Several times it was functioning normally, a few times it was totally lit. Hmmmmm.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Got back on the 2006 PT Cruiser today and I would have to say "What a surprise!"

Car has not been started in about 10 days so battery was not quite strong enough to start the car, put it on the charger for a couple hours and it cranked right up. CEL and ABS lights still on of course, gave it a chance to warm up and then took it for a short drive just to keep all the systems turning after not being driven often. As you might recall, this car I could not get to communicate with my scanner (CAN bus down/no communication)and was stuck in limp in mode, transmission in 2nd gear all the time.

Well I drove off from the house and the transmission was shifting! Drove around the block and it was shifting great, all 4 gears, the PRNDL was properly displaying the gear selected, car drove very nice. Drove it for about 20 minutes this way, never skipped a beat, no driveability complaints. Pulled back into the drive and grabbed the scanner BEFORE turning the car off. Plugged it in with the car still running, scanner immediately connected to the CAN and got the fault codes. There were a bunch and I am not sure how long they have been present and since I couldn't get the scanner to comm with the CAN before I couldn't previously reset all DTC. So anyway...here are the codes that I found stored:

ODB II (7 codes stored)
P1603 - PCM Internal dual port RAM communications failure
P0700 - TCS (MIL Request) /Malfunction Indicator Light/
U0101 - Lost Communications w/TCM
P0562 - Battery Low

SRS
U1415 - Implausible data
U1414 - Implausible ECU Network Configuration Data

ABS
C100A - LF Speed Sensor Circuit
U140E - Implausible Data
C2202 - VIN Mismatch
C2100 - Battery Disconnected
C101F - RF Speed Sensor
U0141 Lost communication w/Instrument Panel Module (FCM/TIPM) /front control module/total integrated power module/
U0002 - Can C Bus Off Performance

Chrysler Specific
P1684 - Battery Disconnected
P0952 - Autostick Input Circuit Low
P0613 - Internal Transmission Processor
P0562 - Battery Low

I believe that the battery low and disconnected codes can be eliminated at least initially. The battery is weak from the car not being driven but it takes a charge and holds it for up to 10 days. I do think though that it would fail a good load test, at least untill it was actually put in regular service. I have read that a low voltage battery can cause codes. I have not yet checked to see what the volts reading is across the terminals, tomorrow I will.

Initially I thought that having the VIN mismatch code and the implausible data faults was in indication the ECU had been swapped but never programmed for the car. But I cleared the DTC/codes and these faults have not reappeared (yet)

I did clear all the codes and when I restarted the car and took it for a drive, again it was stuck in limp in mode and only these codes that are now stored:

So I now know this I guess, the transmission itself works, it shifts fine, the problem is electrical/harness or electronic related I assume. And the car seems to be asking for the LF ABS wheel speed sensor circuit/sensor to be checked and/or replaced. I guess its possible I have a stopped up wire somewhere in the TCM circuit/harness or the TCM in the integrated ECU is intermittent. I'm not sure about the P1603 yet but my Google collective research indicates this can be most often be caused by bad wiring like poor ground or loss of power feed/blown fuse or relay, or a faulty TCM/ECU itself.
  • Faulty TCM/PCM TCM/PCM programming error
  • Open or shorted circuit or connectors in the CAN harness
  • Failed TCM/PCM power source
  • Insufficient control module ground
I have no idea if the controller in the car has been programmed for the car since I had VIN mismatch and improbable configuration data faults stored initially.

I could sure use some sage advice at this point gentlemen...

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I know I probably sound like a busted record, but have you checked the ground connections on the inside of the drivers fender? This is a KNOWN problem area on PT's because of the proximity to the battery. Corrosion is often a problem due to leaking battery gases. Other than that, I really don't know what to suggest. Have you checked the connector to the solenoid pack on the front of the transmission? Sometimes, they get loose too.

·
Super Moderator
21,702 Posts
If you suspect that modules may have been swapped before you got the car, a good scan tool can read the VIN that is stored in the module.
Swapping modules may not be plug n' play and can irreversibly change a car's identity into the car that the module came out of. This can get expensive. The service manual warns against this, even a brief swap for a quick diagnosis or test.
A failing battery can cause a multitude of problems. I would do more than a terminal voltage test. I would stop by an auto parts store and have a comprehensive battery/starting/charging system test performed.
Any battery voltage that drops below 10 volts during cranking can cause invalid fault codes. You must diagnose beginning with a known good battery and good connections. Battery terminals can look good from the outside, but the joint between the post and terminal can be a high-resistance. Take the terminals right off the posts for inspection and cleaning if you haven't already. Hard scale may need to be scraped off as a wire brush isn't enough.
It still looks like CAN communications failure (the 'U'-codes) and implausibles/mismatches should be solved first.
You will want the 2006 PT factory service manual for the car. See what 'Possible Causes' the various fault codes have in common and narrow down the number of suspected culprits.
Are all the fuses and relays seated fully in their cavities? I have found loose IOD fuses.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Chuzz: I did check those grounds. In fact it was one of the first things that I did and I think that I posted this activity earlier. I actually took them off the mounting stud, cleaned them, inspected them, etc. and then remounted. They actually 'looked' fine with no signs of being tampered with or any corrosion whatsoever. But I did the work none the less. I feel they have been checked and are solid. Checking the solenoid pack connector, making sure its clean and not damaged in some was is now on the list.

Imperial Crown: Yes I have been reading about the VIN mismatch, improbable data codes and realize that the presence of these codes is a pretty clear indication that some module was replaced UNLESS these codes were stored because of poor communications quality across the CAN. Once I cleared ALL the stored codes only the three mentioned in my post above returned.

I do have the factory manuals and yesterday was the first day that I could get the car to scan so I'll be going through those steps as best I can w/o the benefit of the factory diagnostics tool which is so often the first or second step.

Yes, removed and re-seated all the fuses and relays, every one of them. When I got the car it had been run with the cover off the TIPM for some time and there was a bit of organic debris among the fuses. I have not however raised it up to examine the back side and double checked for corrosion or anything that looks like a gremlin...also I will see what kind of load and voltage my battery is capable of. Im sure it probably needs to be replaced or at the very least it needs to be run regularly to get it back to acceptable service levels. I did notice that it is only 18 months old. I think it's weak from sitting so much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Please note from my earlier post:

I did clear all the codes and when I restarted the car and took it for a drive, again it was stuck in limp in mode and only these codes that are now stored:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Does it help to know that it seems that with the key in the 'on' position I get 'no communications' on the scanner and can not read codes...but with the engine running the scanner connects almost instantly with the CAN and will read and reset codes?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
You can try going to www.ptcruiserlinks.com and asking your questions, too. I'm also a member there as well as a few other guys here. You'll get a LOT more feedback and suggestions there, as it's a forum dedicated to the PT Cruiser and not a wide variety of vehicles, like here on Allpar. I'm not saying that you're not getting good advice here, as I have much respect for ALL of my amigos here at Allpar, I'm just saying that since it IS a site just for ONE vehicle, that you'll find more ideas and suggestions. Give it a shot.

·
Super Moderator
37,862 Posts
Does it help to know that it seems that with the key in the 'on' position I get 'no communications' on the scanner and can not read codes...but with the engine running the scanner connects almost instantly with the CAN and will read and reset codes?
My first thought would be the port isn't getting powered as it should when the key is on but not running.
You can google the OBDII port pinout and check for power at the proper port.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
"My first thought would be the port isn't getting powered as it should when the key is on but not running.
You can google the OBDII port pinout and check for power at the proper port."

VALIANT67: This was exactly my thought as well. The connection does seem to be intermittent. MOST of the time it won't read codes unless the engine is running, but sometimes it will. Of course you can't clear ODB2 codes with the engine running but over the last few days I have been able to clear them when the connector was actually working. I'm going to see if I'm getting ground and power on those pins tomorrow if I get a chance.

Today I pulled off all the connectors from the "ECU" and double checked them for pin push-out and that they seemed clean. It all looked good visually at least. I also gave them all a bit of di-electric grease to keep out the moisture gremlins. I also pulled up the TIPM to check all the connectors on the bottom of it, Raised each one, checked, all looked clean, added some di-electric and reassembled. Double checked AGAIN the grounds on the fender by the battery.

Fixed the ABS problem ... at least some of them, turned out the LF ABS speed sensor wire had been cut, put a new sensor on and no more code.

So the only codes I am left with right now is the ABS module squawking about there being implausible configuration data and a VIN mismatch, The SRS system is squawking also implausible data and implausible ECU Network config data and the main ECU OBD2 codes for PCM Internal dual port RAM comm failure and lost comm with TCM

As I mentioned before it's apparent this car had the ECU replaced before I bought it and the error codes seem to be trying to tell me that the ECU was never configured for this car properly...which from what I have read a few places can also cause the PCM internal dual port RAM comm failure. So that leaves me with the Lost comm with TCM fault.

Before I ship this ECU off for diagnostics, repair as needed or replacement, and programming I want to try to confirm I don't have a stopped up wire somewhere...short to ground or power, etc. The FSM is rather comprehensive and detailed and the systems are spread over 4 huge 500+ pages guides. Having fun with all of that.

OBD2
P1603 PCM Internal dual-port RAM comm failure
U0101 Lost communication with TCM

SRS
U1415 Implausible data
U1414 Implausible ECU Network Configuration data

ABS
U140E Implausible data
C2202 VIN mismatch (may indicate ABS module replaced and not programmed or ECU replaced and not programmed)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
CHUZZ: I have tried to register at www.ptcruiserlinks.com several times BUT the new member registration page has a EXPIRED recaptcha on it so it can't validate, until the admin fixes that I dont think anyone can join the forum....but yeah, it looks like a good place to be...IF you could actually join. I've looked around quite a bit but cant find any contact info that doesn't require me to have an account.

Since you have an account, could you PM one of the admins and see how a new member can register and perhaps get back to us?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I've been in touch with a couple of the moderators and they're not sure if the owner of the site died or what happened. They don't have any way to let anyone register and have no idea if and when that will be available. I'm going to copy your posts and put them on the forum and see if someone can help. That's the best I can do for now. I hope to find some solutions or suggestions for you there.

·
Super Moderator
21,702 Posts
View the Possible Causes. Battery above 10 volts. Verify Ign switch input to the PCM. If OK, replace the PCM.

P1603-PCM INTERNAL DUAL-PORT RAM COMMUNICATION FAILURE

Special Tools: Click to display a list of tools used in this procedure
For a complete wiring diagram Refer to the Wiring Information.

1. When Monitored:
    Ignition on and battery voltage greater than 10 volts.
  2. Set Condition:
    Internal PCM failure detected. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.
Possible Causes
PCM FUSED IGNITION SWITCH CIRCUIT
PCM INTERNAL

1. Repair the open or excessive resistance in the (F20) and (F901) Fused Ignition Switch (Off, Run, Start) circuits. Inspect the related fuse, if the fuse is open check the circuits for a short to ground.
  2. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)

1. Replace and program the Powertrain Control Module per Service Information.
  2. Perform the POWERTRAIN VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to 28 - DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Powertrain Control (PCM) - Standard Procedure)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Thanks ImperialCrown...

"Repair the open or excessive resistance in the (F20) and (F901) Fused Ignition Switch (Off, Run, Start) circuits. Inspect the related fuse, if the fuse is open check the circuits for a short to ground."

Looks like am looking for the F20 and F901 fused ignition switch circuits.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
This is what one of the PT members posted, ILikePTCruisers. And I mistakenly posted a reply from myckee on the post here from slant6forever. You can read the info there as I REALLY think you need to get in touch with myckee. Or I can copy it back to this thread.

If the dealership replaced the TCM, then they must mean the PCM since the TCM is inside the PCM.

Since the person had it replaced at a dealership, he should go back to the dealership because the issue is still under warranty. Make the dealership prove that the OBD port can connect to any reader.

If he does any work and fries the new PCM, he will most certainly be out of luck.

Before disconnecting any of the PCM connectors, did he first disconnect the battery?

Also, in the Service Manual, there is a specific sequence in which the PCM connectors should be reconnected to the PCM:

At this point, I would be more concerned about the missing cover on the TIPM and how long it has been that way.

On the Gen2, the TIPM is just as important, if not more so, than the PCM. He can buy a replacement cover and should do so ASAP, but depending on how long the cover has been missing, the TIPM may also be fried.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
This is the post from myckee. He has shared his contact info, just in case you want to get in touch with him. He really knows his stuff about the PT's. Here it is.

In my opinion, it is not worth the money to send the PCM off to be diagnosed. Replace it and be done with it. The fact that the person is getting the ram failure code is pretty telling to me and I doubt a reflash of the programming would help. It would be like winning the lottery if it did. The chances are pretty slim.

If that person wants to try a replacement PCM, I have one available. Once I know his/her VIN, I can tell which programming came on the car originally. I can supply the original, upgrade to GT, or, possibly even upgrade to Stage 1 programming. If they want me to flash their original defective PCM, I can do that too, but again, it may, most probably, be a waste of money to do that. But some people like to gamble. lol

You can share my email with the person and he/she can feel free to email me at:
"myckeee AT hotmail DOT com" (Three 'e' in myckeee)

·
Registered
199 Posts
CHUZZ: I have tried to register at www.ptcruiserlinks.com several times BUT the new member registration page has a EXPIRED recaptcha on it so it can't validate, until the admin fixes that I dont think anyone can join the forum....but yeah, it looks like a good place to be...IF you could actually join. I've looked around quite a bit but cant find any contact info that doesn't require me to have an account.

Since you have an account, could you PM one of the admins and see how a new member can register and perhaps get back to us?
I've been in touch with a couple of the moderators and they're not sure if the owner of the site died or what happened. They don't have any way to let anyone register and have no idea if and when that will be available. I'm going to copy your posts and put them on the forum and see if someone can help. That's the best I can do for now. I hope to find some solutions or suggestions for you there.
Yea I've run into that problem too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Thanks CHUZZ, I will get in touch with "myckeee ". I GREATLY appreciate your help here. I am going to reach out to him in a day or two after I have at least done some of the basic trouble shooting like checking the DLC ground and power the CAN high and low and the aforementioned F20 and F901 circuits which I found in the FSM, they are both on the black/black PCM module commector...that is connector #1.

I might have two or more problems, issues with the DLC connections and probably the need for a new PCM to fix the TCM fault for dual-port RAM. Another source told me that it is not typically something that can be repaired, PCM replacement is the called for service followed with a VIN and mileage programming.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
I don't know if myckee has any TIPM's for anything else, but there's no harm in asking. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts