Allpar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2006 PT Cruiser Non-Turbo. Runs great and after about 40 minutes the transmission goes into limp mode and check engine light comes on. I can cycle key switch and it runs fine. Next day same story.... I have code p0882. It looks like previous owner has replaced PCM and TIPM with a reman PCM and dorman TIPM. What are my next steps?? Any Ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,643 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Always diagnose first. What if any fault code(s) are stored in the TIPM?
AFAIK TIPM's are not plug n' play. They have to be configured to the vehicle they are going into.
Cycling the ign key resets the circuit. Review & eliminate Possible Causes (see below).

Attachments

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
. . . I recently bought a 2006 PT Cruiser Non-Turbo. Runs great and after about 40 minutes the transmission goes into limp mode and check engine light comes on. I can cycle key switch and it runs fine. Next day same story.... I have code p0882. It looks like previous owner has replaced PCM and TIPM with a reman PCM and dorman TIPM. . . . .
P0882: This DTC is set when there is less than 3.0 volts present at the transmission control output circuits located in
the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) when the Transmission Control System requests the power up of those circuits.

Check wiring harness for good, clean, tight connection between pins and receptacles PCM connector #4 to TIPM. See attached image.

Rectangle Slope Font Schematic Parallel
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Tire Hood

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Always diagnose first. What if any fault code(s) are stored in the TIPM?
AFAIK TIPM's are not plug n' play. They have to be configured to the vehicle they are going into.
Cycling the ign key resets the circuit. Review & eliminate Possible Causes (see below).
I put a Dorman TIPM in my PT, and it was truly plug n' play. Unfortunately, it got fried by another shop and when a replacement was put in, the new shop got a genuine MOPAR one, but it was not plug n' play and did require additional programming for an additional fee.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Replaced TIPM. Issue seemed to have went away. Drove a lot of short trips with no issues. Went on a longer trip and after about 40 minutes of driving, the shift between 2nd and 3rd gear was delayed. Only way I could get it to shift was to let out of the accelerator. Issue went away after a few minutes. About 1 hour later of driving, transmission went into limp mode and would not go away with turning off and restarting vehicle as it did before. Went back to parking lot to get vehicle, cleared the codes which was still the P0882. Drove vehicle home on a hour and ten minute drive, no issues whatsoever. Checked connections again at TIPM and PCM, no visual issues or corrosion. Any ideas??

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
. . . About 1 hour later of driving, transmission went into limp mode and would not go away with turning off and restarting vehicle as it did before. Went back to parking lot to get vehicle, cleared the codes which was still the P0882. Drove vehicle home on a hour and ten minute drive, no issues whatsoever. Checked connections again at TIPM and PCM, no visual issues or corrosion. . . . .
Code P0882 indicates low voltage on the TCM circuits. Go back to post #3 dated Mar 17, 2021 and review the wiring diagram presented. You will need to unwrap the wire bundle from any plastic wire loom and look for rub through of wires to other wires or rub through and short to ground. Something is draining voltage in the circuits between TIPM and PCM and causing the code to be set.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,643 Posts
Are there any fault codes in the TIPM itself? Any chewed wires?
Always diagnose first. See Possible Causes for P0882 in post #2.

Reactions: 06PTElectricBlue

·
Registered
9,246 Posts
I know I sound like a busted record, but a key problem area for the PT Cruisers is the wiring grounds on the inside of the driver side fender. There are (I think) 7 ground connections with 2 eyelets. You need to remove the air box and closely examine EVERY ONE of these wires. Sometimes they break and other times the corrosion from battery gases has gotten on them and eaten the insulation up and rusted the connections. They ALL need to be clean and tight. I'm not saying this IS your issue, but it's a real good place to start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I have checked the wires going from TIPM to PCM. All of them look great and all the grounds are good, clean and tight. Was driving last night and transmission delayed shift between 2nd and 3rd again only way to get it to shift was to let out of the throttle. engine started to run rough/surging. CEL came on, continued home. 1 mile from home it went back into limp mode with the same P0882 and now new code P0068. Any suggestions at this point?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
What is the condition of the alternator and battery? I have encountered failing diodes in the alternator that allow a large enough ac ripple through to reset some electronics. Most recent was on an '06 charger where the ripple would reset the instrument cluster while driving and it would go through the lamp check. This same ripple also reset the odb emission monitors to not ready. The car drove fine and had no other issues just the occasional cluster reset; battery and charging voltages seemed fine although the emission monitors would never go and stay ready.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
On your PT, the TCM is contained within the PCM, so if there is a problem with that, you would need to get a replacement PCM.

But before buying a new PCM, you could try resetting the TIPM and PCM, it won't cost you anything except some time.

Disconnect both battery terminals, touch them together and hold them together for at least 90 seconds.

Disconnect all of the connectors from the PCM and leave them disconnected for at least 1 hour.

Reconnect the PCM connectors following these instructions:

Reconnect battery

After the vehicle is running, you can then do the transmission quick learn procedure:

1- Allow the transmission fluid to reach normal operating temperature. To do so, apply the parking brake and let the engine idle in neutral until the engine
cooling fan has cycled (turned on and off) one complete time.
2- Perform 15 launches from 0 to 50 mph at 25% to 50% throttle and brake lightly to a complete stop following each launch. This will address the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts, as well as the 2-1 coastdowns as you brake to a stop.

3- Next, drive at 40 mph and tip into the throttle 50% to 100% until you achieve a 4-3 or 4-2 kickdown. Perform this 10 times.

4- After these first 25 shifts, the quick learn procedure should be complete. As mentioned above, shift quality will continue to improve following the quick learn procedure.

Without these first 25 shifts, however, your car could have poor shift quality.

If you do find that your PT needs a new PCM, forum member "myckee" has a side business, he is very knowledgeable on PT PCM's, and has helped many people with PCM issues. You can send him a PM if interested in his services.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I've not any good luck with "remanufactured PCMs" in my 2005 PT-GT. Had weird non valid fault codes with the original PCM, though no transmission related issues, and had even weirder code issues with supposedly remanufactured PCMs. Had a new PCM installed and programmed at the dealer and have not had any issues since.
Common sense says to try to exhaust all lesser or no cost "fixes" first before going the PCM route. These PCMs, especially the original ones, seem to have failure issues related to under hood heat. I removed the push on rubber weatherstrip that runs across the back of the engine compartment at the cowl to help allow heat to escape from the back of the engine compartment. So far, almost 4 years later, no issues.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I've not any good luck with "remanufactured PCMs" in my 2005 PT-GT. Had weird non valid fault codes with the original PCM, though no transmission related issues, and had even weirder code issues with supposedly remanufactured PCMs. Had a new PCM installed and programmed at the dealer and have not had any issues since.
Common sense says to try to exhaust all lesser or no cost "fixes" first before going the PCM route. These PCMs, especially the original ones, seem to have failure issues related to under hood heat. I removed the push on rubber weatherstrip that runs across the back of the engine compartment at the cowl to help allow heat to escape from the back of the engine compartment. So far, almost 4 years later, no issues.
There are no "new" PT PCM's, even the MOPAR ones are "remanufactured" in one way or another.

Several years ago I bought a reman PCM from an Ebay seller, haven't had any issues with it, and it has a lifetime warranty.

Forum member "myckee" knows these PCM's inside and out.

If you need a replacement, he will treat you right and he is a square shooter.

Reactions: chuzz
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.