Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced the Crank shaft sensor and the Cam shaft sensor and I still get these error codes....I have cleaned the Neg and Pos battery posts. Sensors were purchased a Auto zone....life time warrantee.
Seems to be heat related. I can drive 6 to 10 miles before it stalls. Wait a minute and it starts up and can drive home with the engine lite on and if I accelerate to fast I will get a bell signal. I also replace the spark plugs. 94,000 miles. Runs really good for the 6 or 10 miles....................

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
A test drive until it quits with a good scan tool plugged in may tell you if cam or crank position sensor signal was lost or is present or has lost sync (out of time).
The failure doesn't have to be the sensors themselves. The wiring or PCM can be at fault.
Lifetime or not, are these OEM sensors?
The chime with a flashing 'ck eng' light indicates misfire severe enough to cause possible catalyst damage. It shouldn't be driven when this occurs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A test drive until it quits with a good scan tool plugged in may tell you if cam or crank position sensor signal was lost or is present or has lost sync (out of time).
The failure doesn't have to be the sensors themselves. The wiring or PCM can be at fault.
Lifetime or not, are these OEM sensors?
The chime with a flashing 'ck eng' light indicates misfire severe enough to cause possible catalyst damage. It shouldn't be driven when this occurs.
Imperial Crown, Thanks for the reply. Not sure on the OEM. Box says built to OE specks. I do not have a good scan tool, Innova 3030.
If is was wiring would I not get an error when I first start it up? Why does it wait 6 or 10 miles?

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
Not necessarily. Shorts, opens and fault-setting thresholds can be temperature-dependent.
Do you know someone who might let you borrow a more advanced scan tool? This may need some diagnosis first.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
You did not indicate which engine is in your vehicle. 2.4 liter normal aspirated or 2.4 liter turbo??? This is important when looking at wiring diagrams.

. . . Seems to be heat related. I can drive 6 to 10 miles before it stalls. Wait a minute and it starts up and can drive home with the engine lite on and if I accelerate to fast I will get a bell signal. . . . ..
You replaced the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor. So the male pins on the sensors are clean. Did you inspect the mating receptacles in the electrical connector for cleanliness? Make sure the receptacles have a tight fit when mated to the male pins on the sensor. A loose, poor connection at the sensor can cause issues.

Look at the attached image for a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, non-turbo engine sensor wiring. This is for a 2007 Caliber with 2.4 liter non-turbo engine so the wiring convention should be identical. The crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor share the same 5 volt feed from the PCM. I would check that wire PK / YL from cavity #41 connector 2 at the PCM to splice 102 and onto each sensor.

The heat related symptom could be indicative of a poor connection. Connection is good at ambient temperature but when the engine compartment heats up, metal expands and could cause a problem. Or similarly you could have a heat related short to ground that happens only with a heated engine compartment.

Crankshaft Sensor Camshaft Sensor Wiring.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts