Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard much about after-market performance chip/module upgrades. There are so many choices. Are they worth it? Which ones are best and require the least amount of modification to install? I don't need a hot-rod, just looking for some reasonably inexpensive means to increase power and/or MPG's without performing major surgery on the truck or screwing up reliability. Other than occasionally pulling a boat, the truck is mostly a daily city driver. Thanks for any input or experiences.

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
Marketing hype and snake oil basically.
Don't you think that if Chrysler could rate the Hemi at another 5 horsepower by doing a legal tweak that they would be all over it in a heartbeat?
The Chrysler-installed software for your truck may have been updated since it was built and having the latest and greatest software downloaded into your engine/transmission control modules most likely makes for a better driving truck overall.
The reprogramming flash updates would address driveability/shift quality enhancements, false fault code sets, etc.
There are minor interior module updates for things like the courtesy lamps timing out too fast, etc.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
I have heard much about after-market performance chip/module upgrades. There are so many choices. Are they worth it? Which ones are best and require the least amount of modification to install? I don't need a hot-rod, just looking for some reasonably inexpensive means to increase power and/or MPG's without performing major surgery on the truck or screwing up reliability. Other than occasionally pulling a boat, the truck is mostly a daily city driver. Thanks for any input or experiences.
The easiest thing to increase fuel mileage is with your right foot and it's free.

There are performance chips out there - SuperChips and Bulldog are among those I can think of - but they only increase power (not fuel mileage) and typically require using premium (92-93+ octane).

As Bob posted - TANSTAAFL.

Since you're not hot rodding it and it's your daily driver, my advice is to just leave well enough alone. 345 hp (I have an '06 as well - see sig) is enough for me. If I wanted more, I'd trade mine in for a SRT8 Charger or Challenger (if I could afford it.....hehehehe).

But it is your truck, do as you please. It's just not something I would entertain doing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having just recently bought a 2005 Ram 1500 w/Hemi, I do not have much experience with the Hemi chips or modules, however I do have about 4000 miles worth with my 2007 Mustang base model, w/ V6 & a 5 spd. I bought it w/ 33000 miles, last Sept. After installing a stainless steel 2 1/2" dual exhaust w/ stock GT mufflers, a cold air intake, my MPG went from the advertised 24 to26MPG. My next choice was a ' Jet ' Programmer & Code Reader unit. THIS was the single most dramatically satisfying move I did ! The unit takes approx 10 min's to download & save the stock prgm, upload a new one & you are on your way. It allows for an input of modifications, or stock configurations, but ALL programs are based to the fuel grade you're willing to pay for ! In other words; ' IF ' you want to go race, dial in for Premium ( It's worth it, even once ! ). I don't have HP #'s, but my intial input was to run a prgm for REG but after 1/2 tank, I filled w/ MID-Grade. This was the most responsive & economical result. I ran a 3000 mile trip to CA & back to MT & got 5 tankfuls in a row at 31MPG ! My ' JET ' programmer was about $ 325 & it's been a blast. I don't recommend a module because you can't download to ' stock ' rightaway if you need to get your vehicle serviced at the dealer, or elsewhere, since they need the stock program to do a correct diagnosis to work with. The Jet allows a download as the stock program is saved. Only drawback is that that particular programmer unit is dedicated to the vehicle that you've downloaded the stock program to. I would say to try it, I saved a lot of cash on gas on my trip, & still having fun with watching for the next performance improvement. This also was a gas, in this little V6, the surge in power thru the gears is exhilirating, before, it was a fairly ho'hum excercise in ' rowing the boat ' & felt like any other small econo-box out there. At least now, it has some ' zipp ' to it & feels like a ' sportscar ' should. Present MPG has settled at about 25-26 in combination driving here in MT. I plan to do almost the same mods to my Ram Hemi, but a dual outlet exhaust is not really needed provided a hi-flow single outlet muffler is available. I got my Jet thru Summit, delivery was quick. I am very satisfied.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts