Allpar Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Caliber and I have lost the only key/fob I had to it.
The dealer wants $285 to replace and reprogram a key/fob.
What salvage yard parts would I need to accomplish the same?
I know I'd need the ignition lock, door key cylinders, the transponder for the ignition but what, if anything, else?
All help is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
39,991 Posts
If you try to use junkyard parts and swap everything, you'll still have an issue because the VIN in the WIN module (the module that reads the SKIM key) won't match the other computers.

You may want to try some mobile locksmiths. They often can cut the key and program it at your location, cheaper than a dealer plus saving the cost of a tow (the car has to be at the dealer for them to program it).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you try to use junkyard parts and swap everything, you'll still have an issue because the VIN in the WIN module (the module that reads the SKIM key) won't match the other computers.

You may want to try some mobile locksmiths. They often can cut the key and program it at your location, cheaper than a dealer plus saving the cost of a tow (the car has to be at the dealer for them to program it).
I know there is a mobile key company in my area but I haven't contacted them yet. I found replacement Key/fobs on Ebay but I'm not sure whether I'd trust going that route.
Thank you for the info.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,650 Posts
Get 2 so you have a spare.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Does the dealership key cutting machine have the ability to also program the key?

I bought some fobs off Amazon.

I also got the key codes from the dealership, something that it says in the Owner's Manual is supposed to be given to you when you buy the vehicle.

I then went to the dealership parts department, and since I already had the key code for my vehicle ('06 PT Cruiser), and they didn't have to look it up, they cut the keys and didn't charge me anything.

Then in the Owner's Manual there are steps to program additional remotes. But when I inserted both keys into the vehicle, they worked without having to perform the additional steps.

So did their key cutting machine also program the new fobs, based on the key codes that I gave them?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.