Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with my charger. The other day it would not shift out of park and start unless I pressed the switch on the side and went to neutral. Then it would start up and shift between drive and reverse normally. I replaced the Transmission Shift Interlock Latch yesterday. After I reinstalled my gear shifter and went to test drive it I had a check engine light on and P R N D 8 in boxes. I placed the ob reader on it and received a U0404 code "Invalid Data Received from Gear Shift Control Module" the problem now it shifts hard into reverse and drive but does not go 1st gear I believe. Are there any fixes for this? Or do I need to reset the computer since I took it out and plugged it back in? I am going to try and clean out the contacts today and replug those back into the gear shift module and see if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am having an issue with my charger. The other day it would not shift out of park and start unless I pressed the switch on the side and went to neutral. Then it would start up and shift between drive and reverse normally. I replaced the Transmission Shift Interlock Latch yesterday. After I reinstalled my gear shifter and went to test drive it I had a check engine light on and P R N D 8 in boxes. I placed the ob reader on it and received a U0404 code "Invalid Data Received from Gear Shift Control Module" the problem now it shifts hard into reverse and drive but does not go 1st gear I believe. Are there any fixes for this? Or do I need to reset the computer since I took it out and plugged it back in? I am going to try and clean out the contacts today and replug those back into the gear shift module and see if that helps.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
There's been problems with this issue in the past and not just for Dodge Charger. If you go to the dealer, they'll want to replace the shifter module. The underlying cause is dirty contacts, so your thinking is correct. Clean them good. Clear your code. AFAIK there's no need to reflash or reprogram anything.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
There's been problems with this issue in the past and not just for Dodge Charger. If you go to the dealer, they'll want to replace the shifter module. The underlying cause is dirty contacts, so your thinking is correct. Clean them good. Clear your code. AFAIK there's no need to reflash or reprogram anything.

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
(threads merged)

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
From the service manual for U0404:
Possible Causes
FCM CAN BUS DTC’S PRESENT
ELECTRONIC SHIFT MODULE DTC’S PRESENT
TRANSMISSION CONTROL MODULE
Diagnostic Test
1. CHECK FOR FCM CAN BUS DTCS
With the scan tool, read FCM DTCs.
Are there any FCM CAN BUS DTC’s present?
Yes >> Refer to 8-ELECTRICAL - ELECTRONIC CONTROL
MODULES - ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS category and
perform the appropriate symptom.
No >> Go To 2
2. ELECTRONIC SHIFT MODULE DTC’S PRESENT
With the scan tool, read Electronic Shift Module (ESM) DTCs.
Are there any ESM DTC’s present?
Yes >> Refer to Section 21 – AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
NAG1 - SHIFTER DIAGNOSTICS and perform the appropriate
diagnostic procedure.
Perform NAG1 TRANSMISSION VERIFICATION TEST -
VER 1.
No >> Using the schematics as a guide, check the Transmission
Control Module (TCM) pins, terminals, and connectors for
corrosion, damage, or terminal push out. Pay particular
attention to all power and ground circuits. If no problems
are found, replace the TCM per the Service Information.

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
U0404-IMPLAUSIBLE DATA RECEIVED FROM ESM

Theory of Operation

The messages sent on the CAN bus are distinguished by an identifier (ID). Each CAN ID is defined to contain a certain number of bytes. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) verifies that it has received the proper number of bytes for each ID.

• When Monitored:
    Continuously with the ignition on, one valid CAN ID received at least once, and no U0002-CAN Bus Off

Performance DTC present.

• Set Condition:

When the TCM detects an incorrect CAN ID from the Electronic Shift Module (ESM).

• If you turned on the ignition while the ESM was unplugged, it could potentially set this fault code. If it is currently having shifter-indecision issues, recheck your connections as mentioned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I will work on the contacts when I get home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
U0404-IMPLAUSIBLE DATA RECEIVED FROM ESM

Theory of Operation

The messages sent on the CAN bus are distinguished by an identifier (ID). Each CAN ID is defined to contain a certain number of bytes. The Transmission Control Module (TCM) verifies that it has received the proper number of bytes for each ID.

• When Monitored:
    Continuously with the ignition on, one valid CAN ID received at least once, and no U0002-CAN Bus Off

Performance DTC present.

• Set Condition:

When the TCM detects an incorrect CAN ID from the Electronic Shift Module (ESM).

• If you turned on the ignition while the ESM was unplugged, it could potentially set this fault code. If it is currently having shifter-indecision issues, recheck your connections as mentioned.
I don't believe I turned the igniton on. Possibly I did though. I sprayed some contact cleaner on the connections and plugged it back in still have the code with hard shifting. Is there a way to remove that circuit board attached to the module

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I don't believe I turned the igniton on. Possibly I did though. I sprayed some contact cleaner on the connections and plugged it back in still have the code with hard shifting. Is there a way to remove that circuit board attached to the module
You can remove the circuit board and clean it. The problem is, the tracks on the circuit board that the selector moves over, has obvious gaps in it to separate each gear/selection. Over time, graphite is carried from the contact tracks onto the "blank" areas or gaps between gears/selections. This causes the tracks next to one another to become connected due to the carryover of graphite between them. You can clean those gaps of any graphite contamination with alcohol and a pencil eraser. I've provided a video for you to see what's happening. This is however a Jeep Grand Cherokee shifter, but the operation is the same. The video will show how to take the module apart and remove the circuit board for cleaning and reassembly. Make sure your negative battery connection is removed before removing/reinstalling this module, of course. And follow the directions given.
See video:
View: https://youtu.be/lu1cz45SrlU

It's worth the effort, because if it works for you, it will save you anywhere from $350-$800! People have cleaned theirs and never had a problem after. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can remove the circuit board and clean it. The problem is, the tracks on the circuit board that the selector moves over, has obvious gaps in it to separate each gear/selection. Over time, graphite is carried from the contact tracks onto the "blank" areas or gaps between gears/selections. This causes the tracks next to one another to become connected due to the carryover of graphite between them. You can clean those gaps of any graphite contamination with alcohol and a pencil eraser. I've provided a video for you to see what's happening. This is however a Jeep Grand Cherokee shifter, but the operation is the same. The video will show how to take the module apart and remove the circuit board for cleaning and reassembly. Make sure your negative battery connection is removed before removing/reinstalling this module, of course. And follow the directions given.
See video:
View: https://youtu.be/lu1cz45SrlU

It's worth the effort, because if it works for you, it will save you anywhere from $350-$800! People have cleaned theirs and never had a problem after. Hope this helps.
So mine is completely different but I believe I found the problem going to try and do a temporary repair to. Here are pics of mine.
20170324_164200.jpg
20170324_164206.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts