Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Please excuse me for posting this here and the PT forum.
I have a 2008 PT Cruiser with 50,000 miles on it. 3 weeks ago I was driving it very low on gas when the Check Engine light came on and the car started bucking. AS long as I kept minimum pressure on the gas pedal, it was fine, but if I gave it just a bit more, it would buck. I pulled off the Northway, got gas and it was fine. I figured I was either just about to run out of gas or i partially clogged an injector, But I'm no mechanic. I put in some STP gas treatment and crossed my fingers. The check engine light went out in a couple of days.

It happened again a week later after I had just gassed it up. This time I was close to home. I pulled in the driveway, went to my trusty computer and this forum and found the info on getting the codes. I did the On / off / on / off / on thang and it did the self check and went to....... DONE. No code. I drove it around the block and it was fine.

This week I've had to do a lot of driving down to Albany for some hospital tests, and it's done it several times. Each time I shut off the motor, pulled the key and then restarted it and it was fine. So I'm stumped. It seems to me to be something in the computer?? Or I don't know.

The car's history is that it's a former lease car bought at 35,500 miles last year. They said it had it's 30K tuneup, but I don't know for sure. Still, bad plugs and wires, or a clogged gas filter or injector won't reset when you turn the key off and on, will they??

Any thoughts would be appreciated. If you search my user name you'll see I always seem to come up with this weird stuff!!!!

Thanx!! JP

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Could be low fuel pressure. Try turning the key to RUN and leaving it there for a few seconds to see if the car will start and run normally. This should give the pump more time to pressurize the rail if its output is low. If you have a fuel pressure gauge to put on the rail (there should be a test point), try that and check it against the specs in a service manual (if you don't have one and don't plan on fixing this yourself, check your local library; otherwise, a service manual would be a good investment).

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Constantly running one low on gas is not good for the fuel pump. It uses the gas in the tank to keep it cool and when you run it low, it's most likely getting warmer than normal. This could lead to premature pump failure. I'd also recommend some Techron fuel injector cleaner instead of the STP. Techron is top of the line and you can get it at Walmart for about seven bucks per bottle.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Yeah, chances are that you fried your fuel pump, and perhaps damaged the evaporative emissions system. Connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and see what reading you get. Also, next time it acts up, pull over somewhere safe and open the gas cap, see if anything changes.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for the replies!!
Would a bad fuel pump reset itself by me stopping, shutting off the motor, and then restarting??
JP

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
No, the pump will not "reset"- it's just a motor. However, the stop-start could be helping the punp to build pressure in the rail. No pressure or low pressure means no fuel being injected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts