Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been dealing with a 2008 Durango 2WD with an alleged ball joint looseness complaint. There's no radial (side to side) movement with the lower arms supported by jack, the issue is axial (up and down motion),

Anybody know what the tolerances are for this SUV?

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
Up/down is bad too. That's how they eventually separate.
You really don't want any play in the joint. If it's worn, replace it and perform a FEA.
The lowers can be done with a ball joint press (large C-clamp style) on the vehicle. Many auto parts stores will loan you this tool with a return deposit. Air tools speed the job and b/j's are cheap.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I accept no less the ZERO play in my front end components.

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
Many lower ball joints do NOT have zero play when new. That might be nice, but they run under load from springs to stay tight (some Fords with spring load on top joint have top joint slack. The unloaded (usually top) joint must have no slack. And the loaded joint will have a spec for maximum allowed up and down play.

I'd like to have zero play in suspension components, but it just don't work that way in the real world.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
KOG said:
Many lower ball joints do NOT have zero play when new. That might be nice, but they run under load from springs to stay tight (some Fords with spring load on top joint have top joint slack. The unloaded (usually top) joint must have no slack. And the loaded joint will have a spec for maximum allowed up and down play.

I'd like to have zero play in suspension components, but it just don't work that way in the real world.
I agree too about the 'loaded' balljoint not always being perfectly tight up and down but wanted so other info because I'm having a dispute over this situation.

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't have the spec for the Durango, but somebody has to have the FSM. I think ssme of those things range from maybe .050 to as much a .250 on some really sloppy GM trucks.

·
Registered
266 Posts
This is what I could find in the service manual for 08 Durango 3.7L. If you could send me your VIN I can confirm this meets your vehicle build.

02 - Front Suspension/Front/BALL JOINT, Suspension, Lower/Diagnosis and Testing

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - LOWER BALL JOINT

NOTE:

If the ball joint is equipped with a lubrication fitting, grease the joint then road test the vehicle before performing test.

Raise the front of the vehicle. Place safety floor stands under both lower control arms as far outboard as possible. Lower the vehicle to allow the stands to support some or all of the vehicle weight.

Mount a dial indicator solidly to the topside of the lower control arm.

NOTE:

The dial indicator plunger must be perpendicular to the machined surface of the steering knuckle.

Position the indicator plunger against the bottom surface of the steering knuckle, and then zero the dial indicator.

Position a pry bar under the tire assembly. Pry upwards on the tire assembly.

If the travel exceeds 0.5 mm (0.020 in.), replace the lower ball joint (Refer to 02 - Front Suspension/Front/BALL JOINT, Suspension - Removal) .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts