Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 problems just developed in the last month (1) I'll shift into Drive from Neutral and occassionally the transmission is either in 3rd or 1st. Twice today the transmission was in 1st rather than drive. (2) the remote start either doesn't work or the engine starts and then shuts off right away (runs for less than 30 seconds). Any suggestions as to the cause or repair?

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Does the dash gear selection work OK? The VF cluster PRND3L indicators follow the correct gear selection OK?
Any 'ck eng' light or fault codes? Does it upshift and downshift OK while driving on the road? Is it going into limp-in?
The remote start may not work if fault codes are present, so these 2 problems may be related.
Is this the 41TE or 62TE transaxle?

·
Registered
55 Posts
2 problems just developed in the last month (1) I'll shift into Drive from Neutral and occassionally the transmission is either in 3rd or 1st. Twice today the transmission was in 1st rather than drive. (2) the remote start either doesn't work or the engine starts and then shuts off right away (runs for less than 30 seconds). Any suggestions as to the cause or repair?
I've had this problem before on my 2008 T&C.
There is a set screw on the shifter that holds the 'handle' in place.
If the handle is not set down on the 'stick' properly you may have incorrect shifting and/or difficult movement of the selector as I did.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does the dash gear selection work OK? Yes.
The VF cluster PRND3L indicators follow the correct gear selection OK? PRND
Any 'ck eng' light or fault codes? Nope
Does it upshift and downshift OK while driving on the road? Yup
Is it going into limp-in? Nope
The remote start may not work if fault codes are present, so these 2 problems may be related. Remote worked fine today.
Is this the 41TE or 62TE transaxle? 6 Speed

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
It sounds like a scan tool should be attached and read, hopefully when the vehicle is acting up. It sounds internal which could be bad.
Any extended powertrain warranty or service contracts?
If you have EVIC, the display selections can be used for 'P' -code display. TCM fault codes may not show up on a generic engine code reader as the TCM is partitioned in the same housing as the PCM and considered a separate module. Look for P0751 or P0753.
Some early 62TE's did have Compounder/Transfer shaft clutch and bearing problems. Has the pan ever been down or the filter and ATF+4 changed? Evidence may be at the bottom of the pan.
The engine shut-off within 30 seconds may be related to the remote start. Does this only happen when the remote start is acting up?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It sounds like a scan tool should be attached and read, hopefully when the vehicle is acting up. It sounds internal which could be bad.
Any extended powertrain warranty or service contracts? If you have EVIC, the display selections can be used for 'P' -code display. TCM fault codes may not show up on a generic engine code reader as the TCM is partitioned in the same housing as the PCM and considered a separate module. Look for P0751 or P0753.Some early 62TE's did have Compounder/Transfer shaft clutch and bearing problems. Has the pan ever been down or the filter and ATF+4 changed? Evidence may be at the bottom of the pan.
I don't know what my warranty is. I bought the used van last December with 45,600 miles on it and have put another 6,000 miles on it since. This is my first used primary vehicle since 1979, I usually buy new. But since I only put slightly over 72,000 miles on my 2002 Caravan, I bought used this time. I'll contact my dealer and see what they say. Thanks.

The engine shut-off within 30 seconds may be related to the remote start. Does this only happen when the remote start is acting up?
Yes, this only happens when the remote is acting up. Today the engine started and ran with no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts