Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Passenger headlight went out. I changed the bulb, still out. Here's my troubleshooting list:
Switched bulbs, new bulb is good.
Checked fuses, both good.
Changed pigtail. No idea which wires were which except ground so did it the hard way and wired it every which way possible.

Bought voltometer.
Checked wires.
Took out working bulb and figured out which wire was high/low. Wired pigtail again.
Probed connection for bulb.
Switched bulbs again.

Started from scratch.

Wash, rinse, repeat...

NO LIGHT!

Help!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All,
Passenger headlight went out. I changed the bulb, still out. Here's my troubleshooting list:
Switched bulbs, new bulb is good.
Checked fuses, both good.
Changed pigtail. No idea which wires were which except ground so did it the hard way and wired it every which way possible.

Bought voltometer.
Checked wires.
Took out working bulb and figured out which wire was high/low. Wired pigtail again.
Probed connection for bulb.
Switched bulbs again.

Started from scratch.

Wash, rinse, repeat...

NO LIGHT!

Help!!!!
Ugggg...just figured it out. The port for the 10a fuse has not voltage running through it. Fabulous.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now I'm frustrated. Apparently it's not that. The ignition has to be in on position for that port to light up.

So still HELP!!

·
Super Moderator
21,802 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The headlamps are powered by the TIPM (totally integrated power module). It takes the place of the old fuse/relay box and is 'smart' electrical system management.
You may also have a switch or wiring problem.
The TIPM can store fault codes, maybe telling us why the right headlamp is being kept off. The TIPM will shutdown a circuit if it detects a short in order to protect the vehicle. A fault code may also tell us that the circuit is open.
The Vt/Rd is for the low beams.
The Wt/Gy is for the high beam.
The Bk/Pk is the ground. It has to be a a good connection to the body.
Right Beam 1 of 3.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to Allpar. The headlamps are powered by the TIPM (totally integrated power module). It takes the place of the old fuse/relay box and is 'smart' electrical system management.
You may also have a switch or wiring problem.
The TIPM can store fault codes, maybe telling us why the right headlamp is being kept off. The TIPM will shutdown a circuit if it detects a short in order to protect the vehicle. A fault code may also tell us that the circuit is open.
The Vt/Rd is for the low beams.
The Wt/Gy is for the high beam.
The Bk/Pk is the ground. It has to be a a good connection to the body.
Right Beam 1 of 3.jpg
Can you test for these codes with the same device used to check engine/emissions codes?

·
Super Moderator
21,802 Posts
No, they are not OBD2 codes. You would need an advanced scan tool to read them.

·
Super Moderator
21,802 Posts
Wiring or connection problem? Look for varmint chewing and/or corrosion?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts