Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2.4 L Turbo it is cutting out while I'm driving and completely shuts down after I've been driving for 10 minutes and I have to leave it sitting for about eight hours before it will ever start again I've already replaced the battery I've replaced the ASO the automatic shutoff relay but before I keep throwing Parts at it I need an idea if anybody's had this problem it just completely shuts off after it's been running for 10 minutes

·
Super Moderator
21,698 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Any 'ck eng' light or stored fault codes?
Try to determine if it is losing spark or fuel when it stalls?
Diagnose first.

Reactions: Melissa pont

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
P0443
P0551
P0218
P0688
P1684
P1684 driver 5 line 4
And SADLY A "FRIEND" CLEARED those codes from my car without any of them being repaired or addressed AND NOWIT NEVER RUNS OFF ENOUGH TO PULL CODES.....
I ALSO HAD A NEW RADIATOR INSTALLED RIGHT BEFORE all this shutting off started happening (1 month)??!! BECAUSE MY FRONT END WAS ROLLED BACK INTO , PUSHED FRO GRILL IN SOMEWHAT AND IMMEDIATELY DAMAGED RADIATOR!!!
EVER SINCE THEN, IT'S NEVER BEEN THE SAME......
HELP PLEASE

·
Registered
385 Posts
After ten minutes is really not enough time for the engine to heat up to the point of heat amplifying the problem. You really need to decide fuel or ignition which includes the 12-volt power to the ignition parts.

·
Super Moderator
21,698 Posts
Electrically something could heat up and fail within 10 minutes.
Finding out whether the spark or fuel is missing after it quits might be an important clue.
You can have good fuel pressure in the fuel rail, but if the injectors aren't squirting, then you still have no fuel to the engine. If it briefly fires up with a shot of aerosol carb cleaner (or similar flammable solvent) into the throttle body, then crank it over, at least you know you have spark and fuel is missing.
P0688 is an ASD-low fault. If it comes back, inspect the circuit. It may not be the relay itself if you already replaced that. I agree with diagnosing this a bit more before replacing parts.
If a wiring harness or electrical component was damaged in the collision, that will need to be inspected and repaired. If this stalling issue began after the mishap, that could be an important clue.

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
I would also recommend removing the air box and checking all of the ground wires that are attached to the driver side fender. There are 7 or 8 there and some of them are small wires that could have been broken during the collision. It's not a difficult job and you can do this in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
After they replaced the radiator, did they check that both speeds of the fan were operating properly?

Not that it should shut down the vehicle, but just something else that should be checked, if the radiator was damaged, the fan might also have been.

Not the best way to check for any codes, but you could try the "key dance" to see if anything comes up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will try what y'allsaid and get back to you asap... THANK U FOR THE HELP.. .
CHECK FOR UPDATES FROM ME SOON
SERIOUSLY THANK Y'ALL
California girl with a broken cruiser

·
Registered
10 Posts
P0443
P0551
P0218
P0688
P1684
P1684 driver 5 line 4
And SADLY A "FRIEND" CLEARED those codes from my car without any of them being repaired or addressed AND NOWIT NEVER RUNS OFF ENOUGH TO PULL CODES.....
I ALSO HAD A NEW RADIATOR INSTALLED RIGHT BEFORE all this shutting off started happening (1 month)??!! BECAUSE MY FRONT END WAS ROLLED BACK INTO , PUSHED FRO GRILL IN SOMEWHAT AND IMMEDIATELY DAMAGED RADIATOR!!!
EVER SINCE THEN, IT'S NEVER BEEN THE SAME......
HELP PLEASE
The codes you have require a power steering pressure sensor and power steering angle sensor. Who knows maybe your clockspring could be affecting your driveability? Change the transmission fluid is number one and swap-out your ASD relay. It is possible you need to replace the TCM, but I would change the transmission fluid first and maybe that code will clear itself. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,325 Posts
She hasn't checked back in since October 24th of last year. Either she got it fixed or scrapped it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts