Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Ram 3500 cab/chassis with 9,000 miles on it. It has an automatic and 5.7 ltr hemi. The starter does not work. I have swapped out the relay with another vehicles, checked all the fuses, inspected under the dash and in steering column for rodent damage and had the battery professionally load checked. I ran a jumper wire from the battery to the solenoid and the starter ran fine, but there was no ignition, even with the switch turned on.

this truck is currently in a hard to reach location on the farm and it would be a lot easier if I could take care of this here. Any ideas? Thanks.

PS I didn't have any luck searching forums for this, so I hope it is not a duplicate.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm not as knowlegeable as some of the guys here so you may want to wait for them to respond. Regardless, I'll offer what little I do know.

If all the dash lights and everything are coming on, and the starter will crank the engine when jumped, it almost sounds like a faulty neutral saftey switch. My fathers 06 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi had this same issue last year. With the switch failed it would not allow the ignition system to activate, so jumping the starter just cranked the engine around and wasted fuel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a TSB #08-007-08A that references the problem, but pulling out fuse #11 for one minute did not solve the problem. Still, it might be a source of further investigation. I'll double check the transmission selector interlock switch too, as per your suggestion 88ramcharger.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Somewhere in the 2005 - 2006 time frame Chrysler started using a TIPM (totally integrated power module). This is a circuit board with logic circuits that control ignition, starter, etc. This replaced numerous electromechanical relays used previously on vehicles. I doubt the relay that you found was for the starter circuit.

I ran a jumper wire from the battery to the solenoid and the starter ran fine, but there was no ignition, even with the switch turned on.
This behavior indicates that the TIPM is not receiving the proper voltage signal from the ignition key switch so as to activate the engine ignition circuit and starter circuit. I would look at the ignition switch and check all electrical connections at the ignition switch. Next thing to check would be all connections at the TIPM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The relay I spoke of clicks when the key is in the 'start' position, FWIW. I'll check the connections at the TIPM, but the rain has stopped me for now. Dang, there are a lot of mosquitoes out there!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Here is the link for the TSB:

http://project-jk.co...007-08-REVA.pdf

disconnecting the fuse mentioned didn't work though. :(
IF you read the TSB,It mentions the WCM/SCREEM module.This sound like it may be your problem.I have a 08 Liberty,and had the same problem,and had WCM replaced.The WCM went again,but for TPM and security light stayed on.So I would say WCM is a problem on 08 vehicles or else there wouldnt be a TSB.

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
The TIPM and WCM can store fault codes, but a more advanced scan tool is needed to read them.
If it is a 'soft' failure, you might try disconnecting the battery, pause and reconnect to reset the logic in the modules. This may also erase any fault codes.
If it is in 'hard' failure, the battery disconnect probably won't help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As it is now, pulling the #11 fuse mentioned in the TSB doesn't bring her back to life, nor does a simple disconnect of the battery. I'm going to try disconnecting both leads and touching the positive and negative leads for a minute or so.

START RANT: Is this anti theft stuff mandated by law? Who was going to steal it, a oppossum? I replaced an 87 Ram 350 that I owned for twenty years so that I'd have something more 'reliable'. If this little trick doesn't work I'm having to put a grand into a truck with 9,000 miles on it. No guarantees that it will be any better in the future. Grrrr. END RANT

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Long shot battery cable idea didn't work; but that is no surprise.

To recap, the WCM is the likely culprit, but can only be replaced at the dealer. The temporary fix outlined to be able to drive there is not working here.

Or it could be the TIPM, a very expensive component, and a bit of a crap shoot at this point.

I think I've covered all the other bases.

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
Is it still under the 3/36 warranty? The problem is getting it to the dealer.
Some dealers have a limited 'mobile' repair service. Ask.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FWIW, this truck is a very base model with manual door locks and just simple keys. Parts man at the dealer said it doesn't even have a WCM, but that was off the top of his head.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
If that sucker does indeed have the TIPM, sometimes a successful reset of it can be accomplished by disconnecting BOTH battery cables and holding them together for 10 to 15 minutes. This will usually trip a reset of the TIPM and resets it to original specs. Numerous Dodge Caliber owners have had to do this and it works a good deal of the time. Others have had to disconnect both battery cables and let it sit overnight. You might give one or both of these a try. Doesn't seem like you've got anything to loose and it won't cost you a penny either way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tried the reset procedure...no dice
Installed a new ignition switch on a lark because it was easy and releatively cheap..... no dice

Next up a new SKREEM module, for the service manual says my truck, since it is a base work model, doesn't require the dealer calibration. Should be a easy plug and play replacement.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
I wouldn't just throw parts at it. That is a very bad 'hit or miss' way of trying to repair it. You need a service manual with a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Am I correct that the starter motor engages/turns the engine over, but the motor doesn't start?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Starter motor does not crank engine and the ignition system is disabled.

I have been studying the service manual, downloaded last night. A few parts ordered are a cheap gamble in the face of a rather large towing bill, providing they are logically selected. There was a time when there were local Dodge/Chrysler dealers around here.........

·
Registered
396 Posts
Starter motor does not crank engine and the ignition system is disabled.

I have been studying the service manual, downloaded last night. A few parts ordered are a cheap gamble in the face of a rather large towing bill, providing they are logically selected. There was a time when there were local Dodge/Chrysler dealers around here.........
The TSB shows the WCM/SKREEM are the same.I had the same problem with my 08 Liberty like I mentioned before,turned the key,and there was no ignition what so ever.The WCM was replaced,and fix the problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts