Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor drives a 2008 sebring with a 2.4. She took it to the dealer with the check engine light on. Long story short, they told her she needed to replace the variable intake runner actuator. being the nice neighbor I am, I offered to get and install the part to save her some money. I removed the old condemned part and noticed that the shaft that it engages in the intake manifold doesn't really turn so much. Using a short flat-blade screw driver, I can get it to turn maybe 30 degrees back and forth. It seems to me it should turn at least 90 degrees. Also, the groove that the actuator engages appears to be splayed apart like the actuator was really pushing hard against it. I am thinking the shaft that runs through the intake manifold is stuck causing the problem more than the actuator is bad. Anyone run into this? Please and thank you.

·
Super Moderator
21,637 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. It would need the intake assembly replaced. That is why it is sold as an calibrated assembly.
I have never been successful at repairing the valve shaft/actuator and it does not turn a full 90 degrees.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Does anyone know the functional purpose of the intake flow control valves on the 2.4L 4 cylinder world engine? The service manual for a 2008 Sebring / Avenger does not mention this actuator flow vales in any of its information.

·
Super Moderator
21,637 Posts
Slightly better fuel economy and emissions (every little bit helps). The intake runner butterflies 'break-up' the intake air stream and create a swirl/turbulence/vortices for better burn and combustion characteristics during low intake air speeds entering the cylinder. The butterflies open fully under wide open throttle to eliminate the air stream restriction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to Allpar. It would need the intake assembly replaced. That is why it is sold as an calibrated assembly.
I have never been successful at repairing the valve shaft/actuator and it does not turn a full 90 degrees.
Are you suggesting that the entire intake manifold needs to be replaced along with the runner valve actuator? How much does the runner shaft rotate from stop to stop? Maybe I am thinking it is seized up when it really isn't. Thanks- Matt

·
Super Moderator
21,637 Posts
Something sounds like it bound-up or over-rotated if the mating slot has splayed. What was the fault 'P' code? Did the dealer have a possible explanation of what may have happened? They are available separately, but which caused caused the damage?

For vehicles built after 3-21-07 but before 12-3-07 with intake manifold part number release at or newer than the following:  04884495AF  04884881AD  04884882AD Replace the intake manifold flow control actuator. For vehicles built after 12-4-07 test and inspect the intake manifold flow control valve actuator wiring. Remove the intake manifold flow control actuator and feel the manifold actuator shaft turning effort. It should be smooth al low effort. Be aware it only moves a few degrees. If the intake manifold actuator wiring and actuator shaft movement checks ok swap an actuator from another vehicle and test drive to see if the code resets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts