Allpar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Sebring died on the highway today. It's the 2.4. the dash lights stayed on but the engine turned off. Now it'll start and stay running as long as I hold the key in the start position, but dies right after I let it return to the run position. I just changed the ignition switch (not the lock). I've tried both keys and they behave the same, and I've checked the fuses. I'm not getting codes from my reader. Any ideas? Help!

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
. . . . Now it'll start and stay running as long as I hold the key in the start position, but dies right after I let it return to the run position. I just changed the ignition switch (not the lock). . . . .
Does your vehicle have the remote start feature on the key fob? If YES can you execute a remote start and the engine will stay running?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does your vehicle have the remote start feature on the key fob? If YES can you execute a remote start and the engine will stay running?
I do not have that feature. Interesting upset though: I rechecked the fuses. And the little rectangular box right next to it. I assume those are ignition relays or something. And then tried to test power to the coils. All of which involved disconnecting and reconnecting the various parts. Then it started and ran for 10-15 minutes. Of course then it died and now is doing the same thing as before.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
23,867 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Not everything will set a fault code. Is it possibly an intermittent crank position sensor or ASD (shutdown) relay problem?
Do you have access to a more advanced scan tool?

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
. . . . I rechecked the fuses. And the little rectangular box right next to it. I assume those are ignition relays or something. And then tried to test power to the coils. All of which involved disconnecting and reconnecting the various parts. Then it started and ran for 10-15 minutes. . . . . .
Here is an image of the relays in the TIPM and fuse box. Note the ASD / main relay. When the ignition key is turned to RUN and then START, a signal is sent to the TIPM to engage the starter. The TIPM energizes the ASD / main relay and the starter relay. I am thinking that there is corrosion either on the internal contacts of the ASD / main relay or corrosion / burned pins on the relay and / or mating receptacles.

For a quick test swap the ASD / main relay for the radiator fan relay. Run the engine and see if it shuts down after a short period of time. If engine does NOT stop then you have found the problem. Check relay and pins and receptacles in the socket.

Diagram Text Technical drawing Plan Line

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is an image of the relays in the TIPM and fuse box. Note the ASD / main relay. When the ignition key is turned to RUN and then START, a signal is sent to the TIPM to engage the starter. The TIPM energizes the ASD / main relay and the starter relay. I am thinking that there is corrosion either on the internal contacts of the ASD / main relay or corrosion / burned pins on the relay and / or mating receptacles.

For a quick test swap the ASD / main relay for the radiator fan relay. Run the engine and see if it shuts down after a short period of time. If engine does NOT stop then you have found the problem. Check relay and pins and receptacles in the socket.

View attachment 20195
So I tried that and no difference. I had actually already bought a new relay to try in the four spots. Immediately after that I decided to mess with the fuses again. I pulled 7 and 8 and put them back in. Now the car sputtered instead of just turning off. So I shook the fuse box. Now the car ran for a minute. Shook it again and the car went back to turning off when I released the key. I'm currently trying to pull the fuse box to check the connectors underneath.

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
Sounds like you're in the right neighborhood. Be sure to check the ground connections. Maybe you'll luck out and it's just a loose or dirty one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I tried that and no difference. I had actually already bought a new relay to try in the four spots. Immediately after that I decided to mess with the fuses again. I pulled 7 and 8 and put them back in. Now the car sputtered instead of just turning off. So I shook the fuse box. Now the car ran for a minute. Shook it again and the car went back to turning off when I released the key. I'm currently trying to pull the fuse box to check the connectors underneath.
Sounds like you're in the right neighborhood. Be sure to check the ground connections. Maybe you'll luck out and it's just a loose or dirty one.
I got the fuse box off. That was a learning experience. All plugs, connectors, wires and circuit boards look good. So I guess now I'll pull the wire harness covering back and look for shorts. This is not something I'm looking forward to. Usually this ends up causing problems. I wonder if I could just put a new harness on without too much trouble.
I had checked the ground on the fender yesterday. It was pretty nasty but still should have worked fine. I cleaned it up anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.