Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My wife's 2008 Town & Country went haywire yesterday, wipers, lights, dashboard lights etc. going on and off as we were driving. I recall having the same issue, but more severe, when the car was new, and the dealer replaced the PCM I believe. And it was free. Now the car has about 130,000 miles on it, and I have to pay for it myself.

Is the PCM a likely culprit, and is this something I can change myself without needing to take it to the dealer? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

-Ken-

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
The PCM usually controls powertrain management and has little to do with dashboard functions (except gauges).
There may be fault codes stored in various modules that would help diagnose this.
The module that the others lost communication with would be a key suspect. Especially in the instrument cluster (CCN- cabin compartment node) which has taken over the old BCM (body control module) functions. If you have EVIC, it may pull up some fault codes without a scan tool.
It may be a poor ground in common to these dash, wiper, lights symptoms (all controlled by the CCN).

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,675 Posts
IC is correct. We had the same issue with our 2009 Journey SXT at about 45K miles. All warning lights cyclying off and on, wipers cyclying (they were off), turn signals not working, gauges not working. Engine and transmission were running fine. Dealer was perplexced - had never seen it before. We were past the original 3/36K warranty and did not have the extended warranty. Ended up trading it in for a 2010 SXT.

I tried to follow up with what the fix was, but the SW could not recall.

I know they fixed it as I found it listed for sale at another dealership.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advise. I will have to wait until it replicates itself again. I did unplug the battery overnight, and cleaned the poles, and the plus-wire to the battery actually had a poor connection. After cleaning it and hooking up the battery, all works fine, so we'll see...knock on wood.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Poor connections at the battery terminals is one of the most simplest and overlooked items during an electrical diagnosis where strange symptoms are taking place. Many will suspect a computer first.
The connections can appear fine externally, but hard scale and oxide build up between the post and the terminal is hidden and rarely suspected until the connection is actually taken apart and examined.
Here's hoping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's a tip regarding battery corrosion preventative products. Direct from the school of the hardest knocks...

allbatterysales.com sells a brush on product called BATTERY CORROSION GUARD

Longer lasting than Noco, or LPS-3, or any of the others. Has some kind of acid neutralizer built-in. Stuff is freakin' unbelievable. As a retired lead acid battery design engineer I sort of have experience in this field :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
At least cover the battery terminals and connections with grease.... cheap and prevents corrosion from getting a foothold.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
But you do want to take apart and clean the connections first. Insulating corrosion scale and hard oxides can form where you don't readily see them and can start from the inside out. The terminals may look perfect from the outside. Don't seal the corrosion in.
Terminal coatings and chemically-treated felt rings are fine as a finishing touch only after a terminal good wire brush clean up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Myself I much prefer to immerse terminals in a solution of baking soda dissolved in extremely hot water. As long as the solution keeps fizzing from the parts, they stay submerged. I like preservative stuff that dries somewhat (eventually). I cannot tell you the number of shirts that ended up with lubricated elbow syndrome when using grease.

I used NoCo for years. A smear looked -exactly- like fresh blood. Customers used to recoil in horror. "Don't worry it won't cost much extra"

·
Moderately New
26 Posts
What you experienced is the defaut operation( lights and wipers on) when the van looses its can b buss. It should have stored some info but since you disconnected the battery that info is now gone. If it happens again have it checked at a dealer. also check to see if the air bag module recall has been done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts