Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have a question about my 2009 Dodge Journey SE with a WIN Module. Approx 60k miles. I'm having an issue with starting the vehicle. I believe the issue is releated to the problematic WIN Modules on these vehiciles.

Yesterday I got into the vehicle and started it - it DID NOT start. I turned the key to the OFF position and back to START nothing. Tried again. Let it stay in the RUN position and about 5-7 seconds it started.

Last night tried to start - NO START - however it started on its way BACK to RUN.

Finally today - I tried to start the vehicle got the no START at the start position, let it sit in on RUN position - the starter cranked momentarily (not enough to fire the engine up) and then about 5 seconds later it fired up.

This is a real issue. I am really worried I am going to get stranded. I am also very worried about taking it to the dealer as it doesn't do it all the time. What do you guys think the issue is? WIN Module? Starter? Key?

So I guess a good SECOND question would be why would automakers take a NEARLY perfected KEY/IGNITION system and replace it with unreliable electronics to fail?

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
They did that for the same reason the do everything else. They think it will sell. And most consumers are ignorant enough to think that any change is an improvement.

As do most voters.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
juma1998 - does your Journey have the tip-in start feature? (That's where you just turn the key and don't have to hold it in the starting position).

Not sure if it applied to the '09's but our '10 had a recall on the ignition switch - they ended up installing some sort of "ring" bordering where the key is inserted. Some 2010 Journey's were cutting out and it was found to be a problem with the ignition getting loose. Sounds like you have a similar problem.

Unfortunately, I don't think you have any other choice but to got to the dealer. At least you'll have it on record with them. Are you still under warranty? Did you purchase the extended warranty?

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
juma1998 - does your Journey have the tip-in start feature? (That's where you just turn the key and don't have to hold it in the starting position).

Not sure if it applied to the '09's but our '10 had a recall on the ignition switch - they ended up installing some sort of "ring" bordering where the key is inserted. Some 2010 Journey's were cutting out and it was found to be a problem with the ignition getting loose. Sounds like you have a similar problem.

Unfortunately, I don't think you have any other choice but to got to the dealer. At least you'll have it on record with them. Are you still under warranty? Did you purchase the extended warranty?
Yes it does have tip-in start. Yup I have MaxCare Lifetime (thank god).

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HEY GUYS!! I need some guidance! The issue came to a head. A few days after posting this my Journey left me stranded. The vehicle would NOT start at all. I called Chrysler Roadside Assistance, set up a tow and all. 20 Mins later I said Im gonna try it one more time just to see... sure enough it fired right up. I drove the car to a dealer - immediately. Dropped it off last Thursday... The dealer has had it ever since. They OF COURSE!!!!!! Have not been able to reproduce the issue! All they do it keep trying to start it - successfully.

Something needs to be done. The dealer said if I tell them to put a Wireless Module in they will. I threatened to take the vehicle out and to another dealer. My buddy used to be a tech for the other dealer. He called on my behalf and they said in issues like this - its almost best to try to start throwing parts at -- They'd start with... Win Module to see if the issue is resolved (esp if they can't get the issue to show itself). The other dealer also said these wireless ignition issues are constant. They actually may even be getting a little worse with time.

Can anyone give me some guideance? Should I have the Wireless Module swapped??

·
Super Moderator
21,371 Posts
The WIN module is a guess, although it is a good guess. But I hate it when guesses come back to bite me.
The WIN houses the ignition switch which matches your description well. The part about rolling the key back slightly from 'start' and then having it start would help justify that guess.
There have also been failed park/neutral safety (TRS) switches in these, but maybe playing with the shifter could narrow this failure down if it then started.
This is why intermittant electrical can be so much fun. You can't diagnose what ain't broke. Neither problem will leave behind a fault code.
If it's covered, let's do the WIN (best guess).

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The WIN module is a guess, although it is a good guess. But I hate it when guesses come back to bite me.
The WIN houses the ignition switch which matches your description well. The part about rolling the key back slightly from 'start' and then having it start would help justify that guess.
There have also been failed park/neutral safety (TRS) switches in these, but maybe playing with the shifter could narrow this failure down if it then started.
This is why intermittant electrical can be so much fun. You can't diagnose what ain't broke. Neither problem will leave behind a fault code.
If it's covered, let's do the WIN (best guess).
Update: Been almost a week - all looks ok with the new Win Module. Imperial as always you are an excellent asset to this board. Thank you

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE II: Issue started occuring again this week. Vehcile left me stranded. I had to have it towed (took it to a different dealership). This time it just wouldn't start again for me. The vehicle arrived at the dealer and it would not start. During troubleshooting it started - starting again! They mentioned starter or wiring to the starter.

I am VERY sick about this. This is one of those issues that DOESN'T GET RESOLVED. Anyone have any ideas? I have the MAXCARE Extended Warranty (thank god). ITs covering me in a rental but only until Monday! I really don't know what IM going to do about this issue.

This is worrying me enough I'm thinking of dumping the car. I love the car but this is ridiciulous. (This is this vehicle first real "ISSUE")

·
Super Moderator
21,371 Posts
Ok. Second best guess is the TRS (STAR online case history).
If it won't act up for diagnosis of the problem and the dealer service dept is at a loss to explain it, and you have MAXCARE, let's throw some 'known issue' parts at it.
I really really hate guesses.

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok. Second best guess is the TRS (STAR online case history).
If it won't act up for diagnosis of the problem and the dealer service dept is at a loss to explain it, and you have MAXCARE, let's throw some 'known issue' parts at it.
I really really hate guesses.
Me too! This is one of those -- LEAVE YOU TOTALLY stranded situations. As the car runs fine for a month at a time!

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes the node hase been a known issue on early JC models as well as RT. also the starter solenoid control connector is a big known issue up here in new brunswick. there is a tsb so must be national. ive repaired many of these connectors with no comebacks.

let me know the fix.

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes the node hase been a known issue on early JC models as well as RT. also the starter solenoid control connector is a big known issue up here in new brunswick. there is a tsb so must be national. ive repaired many of these connectors with no comebacks.

let me know the fix.
This is what they are going after... Replacing the starter for corrosion.

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
... after reading the TSB... I am wondering if replacing the starter would have the same outcome as the TSB? They changed the starter

·
Registered
29 Posts
I realize this an old post but if you are still out there I'm curious if the problem was remedied? I am experiencing the same from my 2009 SE at roughly the same mileage.

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I realize this an old post but if you are still out there I'm curious if the problem was remedied? I am experiencing the same from my 2009 SE at roughly the same mileage.
Yes, It was the starter and the spade clips to the starter. Make sure they DO THE ENTIRE repair. My buddy's g/f has a Journey with a 3.5L SXT, they did not complete the entire service and the vehicle stopped starting on her again shortly after the partial repair.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts