Allpar Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought a 2009 Ram Laramie 4x4, I checked the VIN located in the windshield, and it seems legit, I know how it should look from other chrysler cars that I had. My question is, where else I can find the VIN? I already searched all the hood area but I did not found any numbers in the format of the VIN, and also if there is a way to retrieve the serial number from the computer.

The idea is that I want to be sure, that the VIN in the windshield matches another VIN elsewhere in my truck, because I know it would be simple to replace the number there, so I want to double check with another location.

Thank you for any help.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The VIN should also be on the driver's door label. Many engines, transmissions, drivetrain and frame structure also have the last 6 characters stamped alongside the part and build sequence numbers.
The electronic control modules (PCM, TCM, ABS, CCN, ACM, ORC, etc.) also have the VIN embedded to display on a scan tool with the part ID #. A specialized scan tool like the StarScan, StarMobile or WiTech at the dealer can retrieve this information.
Your local law enforcement or DMV may also have other suggestions about this subject. VIN fraud is still possible, but getting very difficult for the crooks to get away with in the U.S. Where did the truck come from? Are you just curious or do you suspect that something isn't right?
If you want to PM me with the last 8 characters of the VIN, current mileage and a return e-mail address, I can send you the build and identification information on the vehicle.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts