Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has probably been discussed before. My van went into limp mode the other day. The only code was PO1745, nothing else pending. The information I've gotten is that this code "Line pressure too high for too long" is indicative of a malfunction in the variable line force solenoid which is part of the solenoid pack. I replaced this part. I was also informed that another cause could be a faulty connection between the VLF solenoid and the PCM, so I checked for continuity, and it is there, from pin to pin. There is no apparent damage to the wiring harness, and I've opened most of it. Is there some other possible cause I'm overlooking? Obviously the transmission is still in limp mode, so it's hard to know if I've "fixed" it or not. I'm alarmed to learn that this code cannot be cleared except by resetting parameters in the PCM. I'm guessing this means going to a dealer. I'm wondering if there is any scan tool that is not outrageously expensive that would be capable of doing this, or am I just dreaming?

·
Super Moderator
21,808 Posts
If it is only for a one-time use like this, purchasing an advanced scan tool may not be worth the cost. Shop scan tools costing several thousands of dollars get used daily and pay for themselves in a short time.
I feel that having a service manual is worth the cost if I intend to fix it myself. A service manual for the DIY owner has to be considered a 'tool' cost and will be used on multiple occasions as the Go-To book, disc or folder. I can justify that.
The $100 shop diagnostic fee (varies) will help recoup the cost of the tool for the shop. You can ask them to reset the VLP counter, record any Event Data, CVIs or 'pending' fault codes for your use and to get your money's worth.

From the manual for P1745:
"This DTC is an informational DTC to inform the technician that transmission has been operating in an open-loop line pressure control for 3220 kilometers (2000 miles) or 1000 2-3 upshifts resulting from a Line Pressure DTC. The 62TE Transmission is not designed to operate in open-loop line pressure control for an extended period time. This DTC is intended to protect the transmission. If the DTC sets, the transmission controller will place the transmission into limp-in mode".
"In order to erase this DTC you must reset (erase) the VLP Shift Counter and the Output tooth counter which is a single procedure under Miscellaneous functions in the scan tool called “Clear Variable Line Pressure (VLP) counters”.

Diagnosis must be your first step. The description above says that it is a result of a line pressure DTC (fault code). I wonder why you didn't see one? Avoid replacing things on guesses. Even if you had to pay a diagnostic fee for a 'starting point' on the repair, with the service manual you could then troubleshoot this issue in an orderly manner and still save yourself money by doing the work yourself and buying the part(s) without the markup. If it is in the wiring, you may not even require any parts. Worst case would be internal 62TE transaxle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been told by a Chrysler mechanic that this fault code is unlikely to be caused by any internal problem. I've inspected the wiring and checked continuity on the wire in question, so I don't think wiring is an issue. It's not a long run of wire, the PCM is literally two feet from the sensor. I'm hoping it was just a bad solenoid and the issue is fixed, I guess I'll find out when I have them reset it. I've seen scanners as low as $150 that claim they can reset adaptive transmission data, but how would you know unless you bought it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts