Allpar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My elderly neighbor left her igntion on and raqn her battery down to nothing. I charged the battery, it will crank but will not start. Was running great before she ran the battery. Any help would b greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,495 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Try holding your foot on the gas while cranking?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
. . . . My elderly neighbor left her igntion on and raqn her battery down to nothing. I charged the battery, it will crank but will not start. Was running great before she ran the battery. Any help would b greatly appreciated. . . . .
Is there sufficient fuel in the tank? Remove the air intake at the throttle body. Open the throttle body butterfly valves and inject a 5 second squirt of starting fluid into the throttle body. Engage the starter. If the engine starts, runs 1 - 3 seconds and then dies you know the engine has timed spark. The issue is no fuel delivery / no fuel in the tank. If the engine does not start then it is a problem with no ignition spark and / or fuel injector pulsing. See attached image.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Font Soil Auto part

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there sufficient fuel in the tank? Remove the air intake at the throttle body. Open the throttle body butterfly valves and inject a 5 second squirt of starting fluid into the throttle body. Engage the starter. If the engine starts, runs 1 - 3 seconds and then dies you know the engine has timed spark. The issue is no fuel delivery / no fuel in the tank. If the engine does not start then it is a problem with no ignition spark and / or fuel injector pulsing. See attached image.

View attachment 90496
Here is all I have done
Battery charged
Sprayed starting fluid into throttle body no start
Removed plug wire and checked for spark Good at number one, no start
Security light is not on
Ran codes using a snap on MODIS EDGE only code is a transmission code
Watch crank and cam signals while cranking, in sync
Check all ASD fuses, fuses good and 12vdc in fuse box for 2 seconds after switch is turned on

Makes no sense, with the above I would think it would start

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,495 Posts
Pull a spark plug. Is it wet or dry?
Starting fluid may exacerbate a flooded condition.
Adaptive memory would have been reset with a dead battery.
Three things needed for combustion: Fuel, Spark & Compression. Timing belt turns while cranking?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pull a spark plug. Is it wet or dry?
Starting fluid may exacerbate a flooded condition.
Adaptive memory would have been reset with a dead battery.
Three things needed for combustion: Fuel, Spark & Compression. Timing belt turns while cranking?
Pulled a plug it is dry
I have not physically pulled a cover to check the belt, however I do have cam crank sync while cranking, if the cam was not turning I would not have that
Car only has 80,000 miles.
I do realize the three things needed for combustion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gets better
At 78450 miles
New timing belt, water pump, plugs and wires. #2 was low on compression, exhaust valve and 8 exhaust guides replaced, head serviced. That was less than 3,000 miles ago.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
. . . .At 78450 miles New timing belt, water pump, plugs and wires. #2 was low on compression, exhaust valve and 8 exhaust guides replaced, head serviced. That was less than 3,000 miles ago. . . . .
That 2.4 liter engine is DOHC / dual overhead camshafts. The engine has only 1 camshaft position sensor and I believe it is on the end of the head over the transmission and reads rotation of the intake cam. What if the rear camshaft for exhaust got out of time with intake camshaft and results in a no start? The intake camshaft could be in time with crankshaft (as reported by scan tool) but exhaust out of time with crankshaft. Just a theory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That 2.4 liter engine is DOHC / dual overhead camshafts. The engine has only 1 camshaft position sensor and I believe it is on the end of the head over the transmission and reads rotation of the intake cam. What if the rear camshaft for exhaust got out of time with intake camshaft and results in a no start? The intake camshaft could be in time with crankshaft (as reported by scan tool) but exhaust out of time with crankshaft. Just a theory.
Nice theory I will check it out in the AM

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Check all of the ground wires on the driver side inner fender. They're behind the battery. I just remove the top of the air box and the battery to get a good space to work in.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So there are a couple of things that can happen.
1) when the battery goes dead like that, the computer loses all the memory. Loses cam/crank relation and everything else including throttle position. This all has to be relearned. It will automatically happen upon cranking the engine the first couple of times. The correct procedure is to crank it for 3-5 seconds, turn the key off, then crank it again 3-5 seconds. This may have to be done a 3rd time and will eventually start. After starting, it will run rough and die possibly. It takes some time for everything to sync back in.
The problem is most people start pumping the gas to get it to start. This really screws things up. The computer is still in learn mode so it resets the "idle" position where ever you happen to be holding the throttle be it halfway or fully floored. Now, it thinks idle is half throttle which doesnt come close to meeting any preset parameters so nothing happens. I've done it to myself and seen multiple people do it also. The only way to fix this is to reset the computer by disconnecting the battery again and turning on the headlights to drain the power from the system. Reconnect battery, then crank the engine. DO NOT touch the gas pedal! Crank a few times and it should start.
2) fuel pump may have died. A scanner won't pick it up. Pull fuel line and put hose into bottle. See if it shoots fuel into the bottle. Fuel gauge could be lieing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts