Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started happening today. I know the fan can continue running briefly after turning engine off, but when I returned to the van 30 minutes later, the fan was still running. It wasn't driven hard, and it's been in the 40s for most of the day today in mid-Michigan. Hooked up my OBD-II reader, got no codes. The temperature gauge is well within the normal range, and the vehicle otherwise runs fine.

My limited knowledge research has led me to two possibilities, a bad fan relay and/or a bad fuse. Is it possible for a DIY guy to diagnose either? Are there any other things to check?

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
. . . .Just started happening today. I know the fan can continue running briefly after turning engine off, but when I returned to the van 30 minutes later, the fan was still running. It wasn't driven hard, and it's been in the 40s for most of the day today in mid-Michigan. . . . .

My limited knowledge research has led me to two possibilities, a bad fan relay and/or a bad fuse. Is it possible for a DIY guy to diagnose either? Are there any other things to check? . . . .
Attached is a schematic that shows the radiator cooling fan wiring for your van. Follow the instructions as noted. Disconnect the high speed relay and see what happens.

Radiator Cooling Fan Wiring 2.gif

·
KOG
7,117 Posts
Diagnose? Just start by swapping relays.

·
Super Moderator
38,041 Posts
The only way the fan will stay on with the ignition off is a bad relay.

Reactions: Bob Lincoln

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
21,818 Posts
Also since the low speed fan relay engagement coil is powered by fuse J19 that is 'hot at all times', if the control side is grounded then the relay will stay on with the fan at low speed.
It could be grounded either on the way to, or inside of the TIPM if this is the case.

Reactions: valiant67

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Attached is a schematic that shows the radiator cooling fan wiring for your van. Follow the instructions as noted. Disconnect the high speed relay and see what happens.
Thanks! Are there any diagrams/graphics online that show where the fan relay is located on this 2009 T&C, which I believe is a 5th generation (2008+ models)? It is *not* between the radiator and bumper. Is it behind/under the driver side headlight? Would like to confirm before I start pulling things apart.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
. . . . Are there any diagrams/graphics online that show where the fan relay is located on this 2009 T&C, which I believe is a 5th generation (2008+ models)? It is *not* between the radiator and bumper. Is it behind/under the driver side headlight? . . . . .
Do an internet search on "2008 Chrysler minivan radiator fan relay location" and you will find some graphic images. Here is one that I found.

Radiator Fan Wiring Component Location.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts