Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, friend at work has this car with 62k miles and was told by 2 oil changing shops he had a MOL. So, being a Chrysler retiree I wanted to put this to rest and looked under the car. The K-member/sway bar and engine/tranny parting line look damp. This was after shop cleaned off the previous mess. It looks to be a rear seal but I was thinking the new hardware was leak proof at least that's my experience. I Googled this topic but didn't see a lot. Do the 3.6L have some problems with crank seals?

thank
tom

·
Registered
398 Posts
Is this a 2010 with a 3.5 or a 2011 with the 3.6? 2010 didnt have the 3.6. On the 3.5's Ive havent seen any that I have known of with a rear main seal leak but it might happen? My 01 Stratus 2.7 had a rear main leak at 47K miles in 2003 for example.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
If it is a 2010, it has to be the 3.5L. The 3.6L wasn't available until the 2011 model year.

Did the owner purchase the extended warranty? If so,I'd have the dealer look into it.

I'd be surpried if it's a major oil leak. The 3.5L in my 2010 Journey has ~50K and no leaks. It "uses" some oil between oil changes, but no noticeable leaks. Haven't read of any 3.5's with this problem.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I assumed it had the 3.6L but didn't even look closely at the motor label when the hood was up. He bought this car used from a KIA dealership and says he has a 100k warranty but I don't know what it covers. I believe he is about to find out.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
I hope it is a Chrysler warranty and not an aftermarket warranty the KIA dealership may have sold him. Aftermarket warranties tend to list what they don't cover unlike factory warranties that usually list what they do cover.

·
Super Moderator
21,363 Posts
Any aftermarket warranty worth its salt will cover internal engine components, gaskets and seals. It has to go back to the dealer for diagnosis, service contract authorization and repair. There may be a deductible charge, depending on the contract.
Oil and fluids will generally leak downward (gravity) and rearward (road draft), but between the rear of the engine and firewall there is a lot of turbulence to blow oil around all over the place.
Diagnosis first. It should be properly degreased to find the actual leak source.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, local Chrysler dealership says leaking oil pan gasket and wants $650 to fix, no coverage on warranty. 3hrs labor on the estimate. Dang that's a lot but maybe labor intensive?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,674 Posts
What is the labor rate? Around here labor rate (dealer) is about $100-$110/hr so even a 3 hour job by the book would only be ~$300. $650 seem way high.

Sound like a crappy warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts