Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 Dakota has 66,000 km on it. 3.7 V6, auto, 2 wheel drive. I had the plugs changed at 50K as recommended. The motor generally runs fine except at about 1600 to 1700 rpm. Then it will periodically misfire, just once. Speed is generally 77 or 78 kmh when this happens. I will then usually rev the engine to about 4500 rpm briefly and this cures it until it happens again, usually within 10 minutes.

I've run injector cleaner through it a number of times. It also gets driven every day.

Could this misfire be related to the plugs? Should I replace them with a hotter plug? I'm thinking that because briefly raising the rpm seems to clear it, as if the plugs were somehow briefly cleaned of whatever is causing the misfire.

Thanks for any help or advice,

Herman :frusty:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Are there any fault codes? (P0300 = random/multiple-cylinder misfire, P030x = misfire on cylinder x).

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Welcome to Allpar! :thumbsup:

The maintenance schedule calls for plug replacement at 50K kilometers? That sounds way early to me. Regardless, what brand of plugs were put in?

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Maybe too sporadic to set a fault code. Are they the correct NGK ZFR6F-11G that came out of it?
There is a TSB #18-011-12 for intermittant misfire on 2009-2010 trucks that involves a PCM reprogramming. This may be covered under an extended emissions warranty. Call your dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure of how to get the fault codes on a 2010. My last one was a 2000 and turning the key 3 times gave the codes. That doesn't work on this one. As to plugs put in, the dealer did it so I'm not sure of the brand. 50K is the recommended interval in the owner's manual, so I followed that guidance.

Thanks to all for the replies thus far.

Herman

·
Registered
65 Posts
In addition to the emissions warranty... does your truck have the "Lifetime Powertrain Warranty" on it? That was being offered when I bought my 2008... not sure if it was still offered in 2010, but if yours has it, use it! :)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Not sure of how to get the fault codes on a 2010. My last one was a 2000 and turning the key 3 times gave the codes. That doesn't work on this one. As to plugs put in, the dealer did it so I'm not sure of the brand. 50K is the recommended interval in the owner's manual, so I followed that guidance.

Thanks to all for the replies thus far.

Herman
Did these misfires occur before the plug replacements?

You need to use a Scan Tool-- the connector is at the bottom of the dash driver's side. If you get a code, and it refers to a cylinder, try swapping the coil pack to another cylinder and see if the next code follows the coil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts