Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Not sure what to make of this. I remote start my truck 99% of the time. When you get aboard and turn the key you always get a chime. I can't say for sure but I believe it's one, maybe 2. The last couple days it's been more. Yesterday I though it chimed 4 times. Today I took particular notice and the last 2 times it chimed 5 times. No warning lights on (proud to say) and nothing funny. I've been eyeing the charge hand but I don't have a base line.
Could this be the death knoll for the battery? It's the original with almost 160,000 kliks.
Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
21,400 Posts
A 9-year old battery may be on borrowed time. Do you have auto parts stores that offer free battery, charging and starting tests in the parking lot?
Otherwise, a chime may be trying to tell you something. Any message in the EVIC? Does it only do it with the remote start and not a manual start? Did it just begin doing this recently?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,810 Posts
Yeah, I'd say you're on borrowed time with a nine year old battery. When the original battery in my '06 reached 7 years of age I replaced it even though it did not show any signs nor was I getting any weird electrical issues.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
You must live in nice weather for a 9 year old battery ..I'm lucky to get 5years out of mine, my wife GC goes through batteries every 3 years.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
9 years is not typical for a battery. We don't get cold like we used to. We may get a couple nights of -20 but that's about it.
As for the chime I've concluded that 5 is normal. It's what the Jeep does. I'm just looking for subtle hints of failure. I checked the dealer and he can only order 5 batteries at a time ?

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,810 Posts
9 years is not typical for a battery. We don't get cold like we used to. We may get a couple nights of -20 but that's about it.
As for the chime I've concluded that 5 is normal. It's what the Jeep does. I'm just looking for subtle hints of failure. I checked the dealer and he can only order 5 batteries at a time ?
Walmart has a good selection of their EverStart batteries for less than what a dealer will charge.

Remember it's not the cold that kills a battery, but rather the heat of the summer. It doesn't show up until you need the extra cold cranking amps though I have had a battery go bad in the middle of summer. From what I've read average life of a battery is about 5 years unless you are in the SW (AZ, NM) where it drops to about 3 years.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Walmart has a good selection of their EverStart batteries for less than what a dealer will charge.

Remember it's not the cold that kills a battery, but rather the heat of the summer. It doesn't show up until you need the extra cold cranking amps though I have had a battery go bad in the middle of summer. From what I've read average life of a battery is about 5 years unless you are in the SW (AZ, NM) where it drops to about 3 years.
You have not experienced -40s to -50s and seen what that does to a battery.. I've seen batteries freeze to a dead short, but yes heat is a killer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts