Allpar Forums banner

2011 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi VCT non-MDS help

9K views 19 replies 4 participants last post by  AC TC 
#1 ·
I have been having engine problems with my 2011 Ram 2500 4x4 5.7 automatic for awhile now. I believe a stuck lifter wiped out the cam (I had been getting misfire codes and it was running rough below 2000 rpms) before more recently the engine seized while going up a mountain pass. I am trying to figure out what to do with the pickup as I haven't been able to source a replacement engine locally. I am wondering if I can find a later model 5.7 or one from a Ram 1500 or car and then replace the camshaft and lifters with the correct VCT, non-mds cam that came in the 2010-2012 Ram HD models like mine? Or, can I replace the engine with a later model Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi and have the computer reflashed? It looks like other people have done the 5.7 to 6.4 swap on 1500s, etc., but I haven't been able to fine much about the 2500s. Any and all help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

#2 ·
My two cents, where there is money and a will, there is usually a way to do just about anything.

If it were me I'd just keep it simple and keep trying to source a stock engine replacement if rebuilding the one you have is not an option or cost effective, which it doesn't sound like it is.

Unfortunately I'm not a RAM/ Fiat fanatic and my knowledge is limited on what can be done across different engines, transmissions, gearing, TCM'S/PCM'S and flush upgrades. But I do wish you luck and hope you can find the information you need.

-Ziu

#3 ·
Thanks for your input, Ziu! A rebuild from my local engine shop is $3600 + core, and a replacement with ~100k miles or more is $3000 and up, there just don't seem to be many of these particular engines out there. I already have a new cam and lifters, so that's part of the reason I'm wondering if I can just swap them into another 5.7 that is more commonly found or if there are other differences I'm not aware of. Also, because these engines seemed to have a problem with stuck lifters wiping out the camshaft, I'm thinking the 6.4 seems very appealing if the swap is pretty straighforward. I have found replacement 6.4s from 2014-15 for about the same price.

#4 ·
That makes perfect sense to me, but we're in the same boat as far as information goes. It sounds like all you need is someone who's dealt with this before, and really knows all the variables. I think you're on the right track, and you really can't do enough research or get too many second opinions (unless they're wrong haha!)

If you really can't get the info you need after awhile, shoot me a message and I'll see if I can get you in touch with an CTI instructor I know who literally has a car engine instead of a brain. He would easily be able to answer any questions in every detail, but if not, he can get the answers.

-Ziu

#5 ·
I'm only just beginning to probe the web and am already seeing what you mean about sourcing your engine year and the lifter/cam/valve issue. I have found statements that suggest your engine was produced from 09-11, and also at the very least the power steering changed from '12 up, so that would be a problem. Any other changes in design to the later years could immediately cause trouble. You could be looking at putting the newer wire harness in your truck at the very least. And if there are major variances in the way they upgraded the electronics or engine/chassis design from 2012 and up you could be looking at major barriers. All things to consider.

#6 ·
From what I've found so far, the power steering is the biggest change other than the camshaft/lifters. However, it seems the engine design itself hasn't changed and even between the 5.7 and 6.4 many parts are interchangeable. I definitely don't want to get into any kind of work that will entail a wiring harness change as well.

#7 ·
Keep it simple.
When cross-referencing possible years and models with similar applications, I generally refer to the Mopar reman catalog. Chrysler wants to keep part numbers to a minimum and if an engine will be the same in another year or model, it will share the part number.
I looked up the Mopar long block for a 2011 Ram 2500 5.7L (Mopar # R8154343AA). Click 'What this fits' that shows would share the same part. It shows 212 vehicle variants that could use this engine:
2011 RAM 2500 SLT CREW CAB 5.7L Hemi V8 A/T 4X4 Engine. Long block. Remanufactured - R8154343AA | Mopar Parts Overstock (at https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/RAM_2011_2500-SLT-CREW-CAB-57L-Hemi-V8-AT-4X4/ENGINE-Long-Block-Remanufactured/11302615/R8154343AA.html )
You can then Google: Mopar R8154343AA to find other sources and vendors. You get a $1000 core deposit back. Shipping could be costly because of weight.
If the engine has had a catastrophic failure, Chrysler recommends replacing the intake manifold as well.

Reactions: Ziusudra
#11 ·
I have seen newer replacement 5.7 Hemis for around $900 on Craigslist, so I guess I'm really hoping to find someone who will know if I can just swap my non-mds cam and lifters into one of those and plug the MDS solenoid holes... I know the easy answer is to source a Mopar replacement long block that shows fitment for my make/model, but I don't think it would make sense to put that kind of money into it unless I can upgrade to the 6.4 and keep the pickup for 10 more years.

#12 · (Edited)
I can understand the temptation of a $900 engine on Craigslist, but I really couldn't advise that at all. There's USUALLY a reason that engine was removed in the first place, and being sold at 1/5th or less of it's original value. You really do get what you pay for....(if you find an honest deal from someone obviously that would be great, but it's rare in my experience)

I believe I understand that you do not want a direct replacement due to A) Cost and B) Concern about a potentially bad design, both valid concerns.

Is there a profit margin or at least can you break even by having a GOOD shop replace your engine? If so, I would consider selling the truck and re-investing that into one you do not find concerns with.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.