Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just bought a 2012 Dodge Charger SXT Plus over the weekened and had something strange happen this morning. I walked out side and remote started my car to warm it up a bit before driving. As I walking over to my car the engine stopped running for no reason (I've done this in morning before and it has never stoppped). So I tried to remote start it again, no luck. After that I climbed in and turned the car on using the push button start andin the gauge cluster the Malfunction Indicator Light came on and stayed on. No flashing or blinking, just constant illumination. The car seemed to drive fine, but for some reason when ever I was coasting in the car the "ECO" notification didn't come on either. The owners manual says to give it a few drive cycles and see if it turns off, but I'd rather be proactive on the health of my car. Anyone seen or heard about anyting like this before? Should I just take it in nd have the dealership look at it? Also, does anyone know if the instructions to get problem codes works using a push button start? (off-on-off-on-off etc.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
If it's that new, I would take it back to your dealer and let them handle it. They have the scan tools and resources to get to the bottom of the issue.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I called my dealership and they said drive it around for a bit and see if it resets. I guess I'll give it a few miles today and then take it in. Just wanted to check here first since this place is full of experienced and knowledgable folks.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
I agree. Take it in to find out what the code is. You wouldn't want to continue driving if the fault code was something serious or the car could possibly strand you. The ECO or cruise control probably won't engage with the 'ck eng' light on. Even if the light does go out, the fault reason will be stored for awhile.
Is the dealer really that busy that they wouldn't be able to help you? Impressing a new car owner should be of paramount importance. That's how Chrysler grades them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I was at work when I called them. I drove it for less than a mile and took a train into work to see if it would reset, but it didn't. They said take it to my closest dealership (not the one I bought it from though) which luckily is right around the corner so I took it in this morning. Hopefully it's nothing serious. I've loved the new chrager since it came out (and even the previous generation in SRT and R/T guise), it'd be really disaapointing if I bought a lemon. Thanks for the input guys!

S

·
0 Posts
hello,
i have the exact same problem with my 2012 Charger R/T plus.
i was driving and suddenly the "malfunction light" comes on and there was a moment when the car went in neutral.
Also, the remote start workked for 5 seconds and then the car shut off.
Any insight on the issue?? please post
Mine is at the dealership, wil get an answer in 4-5 days.

i also encounter a great fuel loss when i sometimes drive my car not that warm or not that cold, but some how the fuel comes back after 5 minutes of driving.... wonder if its related.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The 'ck eng' light will also come on for transmission codes. If it slipped, that would set a code. There should be a 'P' code stored in the PCM/TCM that would help to diagnose this. The Remote Start and Cruise Control may not work with an active fault code present.
By fuel loss, do you mean according to the fuel gauge? Yes that could set a fault code and there may be a software flash to fix that.
Make sure that the dealer knows all the information that you can give them. It may all be related and make their diagnosis easier.

S

·
0 Posts
Well, i got my car back today.
they said that its an electrical programming problem , which took them 6 days to diagnose lol
our dealership here in Kuwait is crappy as hell.
all is fine now... hope it stays this way.

sorry for going off topic

btw, how is a dodge viper 2008-2009 in service and spare parts? i am thinking of getting one as a daily driver (i know its tough). my options are Camaro ZL1 2014, Corvette Stingray, Audi R8 v8 (2009), Audi RS6 (2009), Porsche carrera or S or Targa (2010-2011), Cadillac CTS-V (2011-2012) or C63 AMG (2011). They all fall under the price range and i heard rumours of a supercharged HEMI for srt8? ( worth the wait)
The thing i want to know is that german cars like the above mentioned are really worth getting?
any one of the suggested will be my DD

I would like input on my choices over the long run and they all are around 30-45k kilometers on the odometer.
Fuel is not a factor :p, kuwait = cheap fuel

thanks a lot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts