Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe there is already a thread on this (couldn't find it), but cruising in the jeepforum.com website there seems to be a ticking issue with the Pentastar engine in the new Wranglers. Any insight on this from anybody ?
Hate to hear this.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Haven't heard that.
There is the "Hemi tick" in VVT models, there is the 3.8 V6 tick because of the poor qualify of the exhaust manifolds, but this is the first I have heard of a Pentastar tick.
Could be an isolated case?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't heard that.
There is the "Hemi tick" in VVT models, there is the 3.8 V6 tick because of the poor qualify of the exhaust manifolds, but this is the first I have heard of a Pentastar tick.
Could be an isolated case?
Seems to be quite a few, Norm.
At least from what I'm seeing on JeepForum.com

·
Super Moderator
21,357 Posts
I wasn't aware of 2012's having the issue, but it could happen.
There have been early Pentastar cam phaser solenoid issues and some one posted in another section of this forum about exhaust valve/guide problems on only one (left) bank of some Pentastars.
I have no idea how widespread it is, everything always sounds worse than it really is on the internet traffic.

EDIT: Take this for what it's worth: http://www.allpar.co...g#entry11246684

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
From "all" of these reports, is it affecting performance, or causing other issues, or is just a noise?
I confess that I rarely visit those sites, too many [this word has been banned due to its use as a pointless flame tool]ys, and uncivil posters there for my taste.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
From "all" of these reports, is it affecting performance, or causing other issues, or is just a noise?
I confess that I rarely visit those sites, too many [this word has been banned due to its use as a pointless flame tool]ys, and uncivil posters there for my taste.

Norm,
It sounds like some owners had their engines torn down, heads replaced, etc.
Not sure about performance issues.....but something is brewing here. (JeepForum has two threads on this...one rather long)
I'm surprised this hasn't popped up here at Allpar.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Norm,
It sounds like some owners had their engines torn down, heads replaced, etc.
Not sure about performance issues.....but something is brewing here. (JeepForum has two threads on this...one rather long)
I'm surprised this hasn't popped up here at Allpar.
Hmm, considering how complex that head is, that is ominous.
Do we have any idea on total numbers?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
OK, I read as much as I could stand and it appears to be a head issue.
Either a casting or machining error causing a misaligned valvetrain in the #2 cylinder head, between July and Sept. Of 2011.
It's not limited to Wrangler's, it affects any Pentastar built between those dates.
Seeing as we are nearly 9 months out from those build dates, the defective engines have worked their way through the system and many were called back in for repair before they went to the consumer (seems I remember something about that?).

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's true. My Wrangler was built in Oct 11 and we first noticed the tick at 5,000 miles, but was intermittent. It kicked a P0302 code at around 12,000 miles and I started to diagnose and eliminated all the standard stuff, wires, plugs, fuel supply. The jeep ran completely normal from idle to shift points. Finally the tick became more frequent so off to the dealer in New London, Ct did I go. Took two days to do the leak down test and get Chrysler to approve the fix. They screwed up parts order so we lost another day, another day to put together and another half day to find out and fix another problem they caused during the repair. They told me I would have to pay for a rental which didnt make me happy, thanks Chrysler. Turns out the lifter bore issue caused the #2 cylinder exhaust valve to hang up and burnt the seat. They replaced the head assembly, reinstalled the cams with new lifters, gaskets, new oil and coolant. The service manager acted like they had never heard of this before but when I picked it up after the repair they said that they had fixed a lot of these already. I just don't get Chrysler, they know they have an issue and they don't step up. I've bought 32 new US brand autos in my life, and four Mopars in the past decade. I really like this Jeep but it really has taken the fun out of this experience. Won't forget this and will no longer carry the MOPAR torch.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Sorry to hear that.
I guess my expectations are lower, that way I'm really happy when they do the right thing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts