Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2012 1500 Tradesman developed a "clunk" in the suspension after about 4000 miles. It occurs when taking a turn, left or right, usually at low speed or at least thats when I can hear it best. It sounds like a set of worn out ball joints. I brought it into the dealer at the 5000 mile service and they diagnosed a weak strut on the right front. No big deal, not all parts are perfect 100% of the time. I was annoyed though, that the parts were back ordered and it took four weeks for them to come in. The truck went in for service today and I got the call that the noise is still there. The dealer definately knows there is something causing the clunk but can't find the issue. They are going to replace the left front strut to see if that takes care of it. Unfortunately, it's also on back order. Lets hope it doesn't take another four weeks to get it.

So is anyone else familiar with this issue and knows the solution? I'm also suprised that a part like a strut is on such a long back order for a vehicle near the end of it's generation. Comments..?

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It's four wheel drive, extended cab, automatic with the 4.7L.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure. Here is what was written on the work orders.

General Diagnostics: Customer states when turning and going over bumps it clunks and advise. Found right front strut weak. Ordered strut.
FP #: 68040880-AE Description: Absorber 17023001

Labor& Parts: Suspension - Customer states when turning and going over bumps it clunks. Verified noise and checked all components. All tight at this time. Replaced right front shock absorber and noise has decreased. Ordered left rear shock.
FP #: 68040880-AG Description: Absorber 17023001

The service rep told me they were going to replace the left front, not the rear. They kept calling the part a strut, where as I would call it the shock absorber. Are the shocks the same all around?

Thanks for your time Bob. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Bob. :) I'll call the dealer to verify the part ordered and which shock they plan on replacing. When I get a chance I'll crawl underneath to look for cracks or egged out holes. It'll be a good chance to familiarize myself with what's happening under there too. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: The left front shock was replaced and it seemed to do the trick. The clunking noise has gone away. Must of been a bad set of front shocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts