Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this is now coming back, when going from Reverse to Drive, I get a very hard clunk!

I had the TSB done some months ago and has been fine since till this past week. It otherwise shifts just fine, very smooth.

Ifs there anything I can do to help this?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Anything obvious I can think of you probably already have. I guess you've ruled out the obvious of perhaps cold temp programming?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
trumpet12345 said:
I guess you've ruled out the obvious of perhaps cold temp programming?
Typically, that engine is wram since I use the Remote Start for about 5-10 min before I drive it.

Maybe it;s too hot?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Jaime said:
Typically, that engine is wram since I use the Remote Start for about 5-10 min before I drive it.

Maybe it;s too hot?
I never heard about anything being too hot in 5-10 like that... I wonder if the tranny is still cold though since it is being idled.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Isn't their a customer satisfaction campaign "recall" for the minivans?

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
I think that M38 has already been done? A quicklearn may smooth engagement, but why would it change now? A quicklearn should have been done after the recall service and before returning the vehicle to the customer.
Best to get this intermittent 'harsh engagement' concern documented in writing on a dealer repair order. If you can demonstrate it to the advisor, that's even better. Even if nothing is done about it or you are told that it's normal, it needs to be printed and signed.
Without this on paper, it means nothing to Chrysler or the dealer.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ImperialCrown said:
I think that M38 has already been done? A quicklearn may smooth engagement, but why would it change now? A quicklearn should have been done after the recall service and before returning the vehicle to the customer.
Best to get this intermittent 'harsh engagement' concern documented in writing on a dealer repair order. If you can demonstrate it to the advisor, that's even better. Even if nothing is done about it or you are told that it's normal, it needs to be printed and signed.
Without this on paper, it means nothing to Chrysler or the dealer.
Will do, I have an appointment on Thursday for this and the seat repair. I will do my best to ensure they see whaqt it does.

But you all know how this goes, the darn thing will act just fine once at the dealer. :runaway:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got word from the dealer adn they cant seem to find out what is wrong. So they are sending a request to Chrysler to find out what the deal is. Also they noted the idle is too high...so going to have to wait I gues to find a solution.

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
So they did confirm your harsh engagement from Reverse to Drive then? That is a good start.
A fast idle speed can easily cause a lurch into gear.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ImperialCrown said:
So they did confirm your harsh engagement from Reverse to Drive then? That is a good start.
A fast idle speed can easily cause a lurch into gear.
Yes they did confirm. They just dont know how to fix it....

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Question: is there a way for me to Perform a Quick Learn? The dealer did this just out desperation, but it has quilled the harsh Drive Engagement. Not one bump this whole weekend.

If know how to do the quick learn, I don't mind having to do it every few months if it keeps the harsh drive drive engagement alway, I will be very happy!

I know that it won't fix the high idle issue, but at least you don't feel like you hit somthjng.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
Jaime said:
Question: is there a way for me to Perform a Quick Learn? The dealer did this just out desperation, but it has quilled the harsh Drive Engagement. Not one bump this whole weekend.

If know how to do the quick learn, I don't mind having to do it every few months. Of it keeps the harsh drive drive engagement alway, I will be very happy!

I know that it won't fix the high idle issue, but at least you don't feel like you hit somthjng.
You would need a DRBIII scan tool at a minimum. And it might be proprietary programming only available to dealers and shops that have paid for the programming.

In theory, a quick learn only needs to be performed when the transmission is serviced. Not something you need to do in the course of normal driving. Remember the transmission "learns" your driving habits and adjusts accordingly. Now if you have two different drivers who drive differently that could present problems. Eveen if a quick learn is not performed, the transmission should "learn" your habits anyway - just takes longer.

·
Super Moderator
21,370 Posts
It is good practice to perform a quicklearn after any transmission or TCM work (including reprorgramming) before returning the vehicle to the customer. It shouldn't be necessary as a regular maintenance. You do need a scan tool to perform quicklearn.
Modern vehicles no longer use the DRB III. Any CAN bus vehicle uses the StarScan, StarMobile or WiTech. CAN bus communication was first introduced on the 2004 Durango.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well ok....thought I would check.

I do realize that you should not have to perform a quick learn on regular basis, but if it helps?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts