Allpar Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The more I research this the less definitive things become...

Will the 2013 Challenger SXT models offer the ZF 8-Speed or just the trusty old Mercedes-Benz 5-Speed?

I've recently taken on a second (afternoon) job seventy-five miles north of my first (morning) job and have been thinking that either the new Dart 1.4T 6-Speed manual (which apparently has anemic urban performance), or maybe a Challenger SXT will be my next ride.

Many decades ago I had a 1970 Challenger SE with a 318 3-Speed (which I upgraded to a 340 4-Speed), and were it that the Challenger SXT was available with a sweet shifting 6-Speed that would be my new car of choice. Unfortunately the one thing (transmission related) that does seem certain is that the V6 Challengers won't be offered with three pedals under the dash any time soon (if ever).

Thoughts?

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
The 2013 Challenger SXT will only come with the W5A580 5-speed automatic. The next vehicle in line to get the ZF 8-speed is the Grand Cherokee.

The 1.4L Dart, despite having a manual, a turbocharger and a "Turbo" badge, is NOT a performance car in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
I bought a 2012 V6 Challenger once it was confirmed the 8 speed wasn't going to make it for 2013. It's still a respectable combination.

Reactions: Stratuscaster

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys; the problem is, I'm a dyed in the wool and self professed stick-shift bigot. I was thinking I might be willing to go with an automatic Challenger if the 8-Speed was available (or of course a 6-Speed manual which would trump the 8-Speed for my purposes). I'll drive the new Dart when time and availability warrants, and if it is unsatisfactory then I'll probably opt for a 4-Door version of my wife's car (she has a 2012 GTI 6-Speed).

I'd really like to get back into a Dodge, but it seems that they keep missing the mark by "just-that-much". Bummer.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks guys; the problem is, I'm a dyed in the wool and self professed stick-shift bigot. I was thinking I might be willing to go with an automatic Challenger if the 8-Speed was available (or of course a 6-Speed manual which would trump the 8-Speed for my purposes). I'll drive the new Dart when time and availability warrants, and if it is unsatisfactory then I'll probably opt for a 4-Door version of my wife's car (she has a 2012 GTI 6-Speed).

I'd really like to get back into a Dodge, but it seems that they keep missing the mark by "just-that-much". Bummer.
I know it is a little more expensive, but the R/T challenger with the Hemi has a 6-speed manual.

Also, the Charger pentastar comes with the 8-speed. I am loving mine right now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it is a little more expensive, but the R/T challenger with the Hemi has a 6-speed manual.

Also, the Charger pentastar comes with the 8-speed. I am loving mine right now.
As much as I'd love an R/T Challenger, when one drives 150 miles per day (sometimes over 200 with errands and kid schlepping duties and such), the R/T isn't in the cards these days. :(

I had an 8-Speed Charger rental earlier this year and as much as I loved it, it is just too big for my needs, wants and desires. It's still on my short-list, and may happen, but the Dart and the Challenger are several notches higher.

·
Registered
246 Posts
To me the Challenger needs a 8 speed automatic badly behind the V 6 and V 8. Right now the hwy mileage numbers suck due to the hefty weight of the Challenger. Chrysler is screwing by not offering the 8 speed auto in these cars which will remain in the "also ran" category sad to say.

Just my 2 cents. :scared:

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
No one really knows what MPG difference the 8-speed behind the 5.7 V8 will be yet, since it doesn't exist for retail sale at this point.

We can expect the Challenger with the 8-speed Pentastar to improve 1 MPG in the city and 4 MPG on the highway - which would better the V6 Camaro 6-speed auto and be equal to the V6 Mustang 6-speed auto.

That's based on the 300 and Charger - they went from 18/27(21) with the 5-speed to 19/31(23) with the 8-speed on the Pentastar. The current Challenger 5-speed Pentastar gets the same MPG as the larger (and heavier) sedans.

"Also ran?" Sorry. I would guess that most Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro buyers aren't necessarily putting fuel economy at the top of the list in the first place, and the current 1MPG/4MPG gap might not be enough to sway someone one way or the other.

·
Registered
845 Posts
A stick-shift V6 Challenger would definitely be on my buy list. The R/T... yeah... same issues.
I have to admit I have considered investigating if the Tremec could be wedged behind the 3.5l in my 2010 Charger

·
Registered
845 Posts
To me the Challenger needs a 8 speed automatic badly behind the V 6 and V 8. Right now the hwy mileage numbers suck due to the hefty weight of the Challenger. Chrysler is screwing by not offering the 8 speed auto in these cars which will remain in the "also ran" category sad to say.

Just my 2 cents. :scared:
Guys the 8 speed 8th gear is only 0.67 vs 0.69 on the 42RLE - is that really going to make any difference on the highway? These cars are heavy - price for the size / space - and they are tall therefore not very aeordynamic. The 0.5 in the Tremec on my Challenger now that makes a difference but for 0.02 I'll stick with the proven 4 speed anyday - come a long way with improvements, I know it inside out, fewer parts to go wrong, less complex... I wish I could get another 4 speed in our next minivan but seems that is not likely.

"Also ran?" Sorry. I would guess that most Challenger, Mustang, and Camaro buyers aren't necessarily putting fuel economy at the top of the list in the first place, and the current 1MPG/4MPG gap might not be enough to sway someone one way or the other.
With you on that one.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Guys the 8 speed 8th gear is only 0.67 vs 0.69 on the 42RLE - is that really going to make any difference on the highway? These cars are heavy - price for the size / space - and they are tall therefore not very aeordynamic. The 0.5 in the Tremec on my Challenger now that makes a difference but for 0.02 I'll stick with the proven 4 speed anyday - come a long way with improvements, I know it inside out, fewer parts to go wrong, less complex... I wish I could get another 4 speed in our next minivan but seems that is not likely.
That's not the big picture though. The spread is much bigger, and the final drive ratio would be lower in the 8-speed. The Overall Top Gear of the 8-speed (on the Charger RWD) is 1.78; and the 4-speed is 2.51. Easily better gas mileage there. Also, the Overall First Gear of the 8-speed is 12.48; and the 4-speed is 10.34, so better acceleration as well.

·
Registered
845 Posts
That's not the big picture though. The spread is much bigger, and the final drive ratio would be lower in the 8-speed. The Overall Top Gear of the 8-speed (on the Charger RWD) is 1.78; and the 4-speed is 2.51. Easily better gas mileage there. Also, the Overall First Gear of the 8-speed is 12.48; and the 4-speed is 10.34, so better acceleration as well.
Good point - good to know - not sure it changes my preference to stay with the proven but then you have to move forward somehow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts