Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a 3500 chassis cab, diesel and automatic, on the lot today and noticed that it said that it had 750 ft. lbs of torque. I also noticed that the regular 3500 pickups have 850 ft. lbs of torque. Why do the chassis cabs have a lower torque output? I would have thought that they would be higher than the regular pickups.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
72_dart said:
I was looking at a 3500 chassis cab, diesel and automatic, on the lot today and noticed that it said that it had 750 ft. lbs of torque. I also noticed that the regular 3500 pickups have 850 ft. lbs of torque. Why do the chassis cabs have a lower torque output? I would have thought that they would be higher than the regular pickups.
They are detuned for heavy duty service and longevity. Companies want return on investment and these trucks will run 300,000 miles if taken care of properly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MoparNorm said:
They are detuned for heavy duty service and longevity. Companies want return on investment and these trucks will run 300,000 miles if taken care of properly.
I had a sneaky feeling that might be the case. I figured that the higher numbers in the pickup line was for the torque wars between the other manufacturers.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
72_dart said:
I had a sneaky feeling that might be the case. I figured that the higher numbers in the pickup line was for the torque wars between the other manufacturers.
And that is important, for guys towing trailers, but unless the truck is also a work truck, it's likely driving around empty, 80% of the time, whereas commercial Chassis/Cabs are working nearly all of the time.
That big torque, which moves the load, also wears on transmissions, drivetrain and brakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts