Allpar Forums banner

2013 Dodge Journey Overheating while Idling

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  kludxo 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 2013 Dodge Journey SE that seems to only overheat while idling but goes back down while on the gas and in motion. What could be the issue? I check my coolant levels everyday and they are good.

Thanks for your help!

#2 ·
Hey guys,
I have a 2013 Dodge Journey SE that seems to only overheat while idling but goes back down while on the gas and in motion. What could be the issue? I check my coolant levels everyday and they are good.

Thanks for your help!

Ensure your radiator cooling fans are operational. At idle, they may not be operating - causing the overheat. Also ensure there is nothing blocking the airflow behind the grille opening.

When driving, there is often enough ambient air forced through the a/c condenser and radiator to keep the engine cool. When you stop, the airflow stops.

The radiator fan should come on once the engine is warm - and the a/c supplemental fan should operate when the engine is very hot - or the a/c is turned on.

#4 ·
It may not be the case but one other thing that causes this is dirt n' bugs blocking airflow, sometimes you can only see a part of the rad and the bottom/side are plugged up. Every year at the ending of summer I always take my grill off and clean the rad's very well. The areas where regular washing doesn't get too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.