Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FuelEconomy.gov has the official listing for the Ram 1500 Hemi with 8 speed finally...

2013 Ram 1500 4WD 5.7 L, 8 cyl, Automatic 8-spd, Midgrade Gasoline

15 City
17 Combined
21 Highway

I think this compares well with the 6 speed's rating of 13/15/19 (2 mpg across the board is nothing to scoff at).

Percentage increases are 15% city, 13% combined and 10.5% highway approximately. This makes me even more surprised that the 2014 Grand Cherokee with hemi can only muster 14 city, 16 combined, and 20 highway in 4WD form (up from 13/15/20)

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
mentalicca said:
FuelEconomy.gov has the official listing for the Ram 1500 Hemi with 8 speed finally...

2013 Ram 1500 4WD 5.7 L, 8 cyl, Automatic 8-spd, Midgrade Gasoline

15 City
17 Combined
21 Highway

I think this compares well with the 6 speed's rating of 13/15/19 (2 mpg across the board is nothing to scoff at).

Percentage increases are 15% city, 13% combined and 10.5% highway approximately. This makes me even more surprised that the 2014 Grand Cherokee with hemi can only muster 14 city, 16 combined, and 20 highway in 4WD form (up from 13/15/20)
Good news for Ram!

I think the Grand Cherokee weighs more than the 1500 Ram.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My dad's new Ram 1500 with the Hemi and TorqueFlite 8 combination is due for delivery any day; yesterday it was at the rail yard awaiting a semi transport to the dealership. I'll confirm these numbers are on the window sticker when it arrives.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
if anyone is interested.... HERE is a link to a window sticker for a '13 ram 4x4 with 8hp tranny. i might just go out and test drive this beast! :)

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
"15 City 17 Combined 21 Highway"

That's better than the 3.8 powered Wrangler. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Can a two speed rear end be next. They gave us so many trick items this year what are they going to do for an encore?

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
moparman505 said:
Can a two speed rear end be next. They gave us so many trick items this year what are they going to do for an encore?
has any light duty truck (ala pickup) ever had a 2 speed rear diff?? that would be interesting...

·
3,813 Posts
Was just driving one that we have here, not bad at all. The gas mileage isn't a huge improvement over the 6 speed, but any improvement is welcome. It does seem to shift a lot more than the other 8 speeds that I have driven and it shuddered a few times, but that may all work itself out as I think I remember its a learning transmission...

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
JRS200x said:
Was just driving one that we have here, not bad at all. The gas mileage isn't a huge improvement over the 6 speed, but any improvement is welcome. It does seem to shift a lot more than the other 8 speeds that I have driven and it shuddered a few times, but that may all work itself out as I think I remember its a learning transmission...
Huh? ;)
It's 2 mpg better than before, 21 mpg with FOUR WHEEL DRIVE and a HEMI!
That's an 11% improvement, exactly as advertised by ZF.
The much over hyped and touted Ford only gets 22...with a six and two wheel drive.
Not weak at all.

·
3,813 Posts
Lets discuss real world for a minute Norm and not window sticker numbers which you love to point out are never truly accurate and are simply a guide. In the REAL world, i normally see, at 70mph, around 21-22mpg on the highway in the current six speed 2013 Ram 1500s with a hemi. I took the 8 speed for a 30 mile trip yesterday on the highway, at cruise on the highway it achieved... 22mpg. So again, its not terribly different in gas mileage terms. It FEELS much better, the shifts are smoother and faster, it accelerates better off the line and kicks down faster onthe highway for passing. So yes, I would buy the 8 speed over the 6, but it wouldn't be for gas mileage as I don't notice any real difference.

·
Registered
113 Posts
The lower gearing and better gear spread should also help to get a load moving and keeping it moving better especially through hills such as with a heavy trailer. Much better. Put with the changes they made in 09 to the short & long intake runners, variable valve timing, and more refined engine management nobody should ever think the Hemi is a no low end torque, car motor again. Kudos Ram.

My understanding is that the top overdrive ratio of the new trans is the same as the old trans so aside from improvements in efficiencies unloaded highway mileage should be about the same. Although with the lower gears and better spread a 3.21 should accelerate or move a load as well or better than a 3.92 geared truck before. So with no real need to buy low 3.92 gears real world highway mileage could be fairly dramatically improved that way.

Norm I don't share your animosity or whatever you want to call it toward the Ford Ecoboost. I don't see it as over hyped. Although I feel I understand the market and its pros & cons of a turbo gas motor overall much like you and jeeps and their drivetrains. Yes Ford has advertised the crap out of it but wouldn't you if you were Ford. Its an excellent setup for the average urban cowboy 1/2 ton truck owner who maybe has a camper and wants some power. Short of the Ram I think its the best overall 1/2 ton truck of the five.

16/22 for the 2WD? Any guesses or input as to when that should be out?

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
I'm not reading where either of you specifically address the fact that Dodge Ram is 4 Wheel Drive and the Ford and the 6 speed ratings are in TWO wheel drive. That's a huge win for Dodge, not a marginally better win.

·
Registered
113 Posts
No I'm good with the mileage of the 4WD Ram. I just thought your 4WD post was well replied to or covered and nothing more needed to be said. Why do you always crap on that particular 1/2 ton truck? That was not replied to. Is there something that gets your goat about it?

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Ramfan said:
No I'm good with the mileage of the 4WD Ram. I just thought your 4WD post was well replied to or covered and nothing more needed to be said. Why do you always crap on that particular 1/2 ton truck? That was not replied to. Is there something that gets your goat about it?
Yeah, it's a ford...all hype, no substance, real simple. ;)
Dodge builds the best pickup in the world, yet sheep still buy the ford and it's baffling.

Reactions: FreeLantz

·
3,813 Posts
All I said was that real world gas mileage really hasn't changed from the 6 speed to the 8. I am ecstatic that it has jumped by 2 mpg on the window sticker, but the real difference for me (as I always felt the gas mileage of the 6 speed was underrated on the highway) is just the feel of the truck. It accelerates harder, it kicks down faster and shifts SOOOO much faster at WOT, but I don't think the consumer is going to see much difference overall in real world gas mileage is all.

Also, while I do think the Ram is a much better truck than the F150, the F150 is NOT all hype, no substance... even though I know you were being a little tongue in cheek. What I can't figure out is why people continue to pay the prices Ford asks for their top tier F150s. They aren't anywhere near as nice as our Laramie, let alone our Longhorn, and yet command quite a bit more money. THAT is baffling.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Side step that huh Norm. :) Good point people pay stupid prices for their top model 150s. Credit where credit is due they do build some good trucks but one reason I don't like Ford is that they have every intention of not honoring their warranty. Never seen a manufacturer go so far to get out of paying legitimate warranty items and how they continually get away with it is beyond me.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wonder what the Power Wagon (4.56 gears) will do? I am going to guess 19 on the hwy. Still real good, seeing as I get like 16 on mine. Mine only has the 5 speed auto.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts