Allpar Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
MoparNorm said:
Ha! My Chassis/Cab was at the outfitters for two months before I could pick it up, I made two monthly payments before I saw it.
The woman at Chrysler, calling me to ask how I liked my month old Dodge Ram was very confused when I told her, "I don't know, it hasn't been delivered yet!" ;)
:lol:

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Yes, that was an issue for us, too. We changed up fitters, because of it. The new up fitter gauranteed their completion dates, as long as we communicated with them properly, and made other promises to them (unfamiliar with the details).

I budget six months from the date I fill out our order form, until the date it is delivered, any sooner and its a bonus. I have NEVER EVER EVER gotten one in less than four months.

THE BAD: we changed to Chevy's. I have been in a Chevy for almost a year now. Though the interior is tons better than the old Ram I really miss the Hemi. I don't care what anybody says, the RAM hemi, is the best damn gas engine available in a pick up. Strong as freaking heck. It beats the big Chevy and Ford hands down. It is not even a contest. The Ram auto is better, as is the rest of the running gear. I miss the lever, though the e-tron transfer case IS very nice. Overall? In spite of the worse interior, I much prefer the Ram. I can carry 3000lbs in the bed, and tow 5000 and it sits up and begs for more. Ride her hard, and she wants more of it.

The Chevy gets winded pretty easily.

(NOTE: The worse Ram interiror was probably due more to our spec, than anything else, AND the vast improvement in Chevy's interior quality. Ford is OTB. In spite of hte fact they are a large customer of ours, we won't buy their trucks.)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I'm trying to figure out just what, on the plastic engine cover, is flammable???
Did they add a fiber sound batt to it, on this model?

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
The replacement cover is described as being "batwing shaped". :huh:

Is there perhaps sound deadener in the cover itself?

Then again "led to a fire" doesn't mean the cover itself caught fire.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
The replacement cover is described as being "batwing shaped". :huh:Is there perhaps sound deadener in the cover itself?Then again "led to a fire" doesn't mean the cover itself caught fire.
True, it may be trapping heat that ignites something else under the hood, but one would think the plastic cover would melt, prior to anything that might be ignited at say... 451 degrees?

·
Registered
530 Posts
MoparNorm said:
True, it may be trapping heat that ignites something else under the hood, but one would think the plastic cover would melt, prior to anything that might be ignited at say... 451 degrees?
It would depend on the polymer used in the covers... I would imagine that they can properly spec a plastic to not melt at operating temperatures with a margin. Also, not all plastic melts (thermoset vs thermoplastic).

Reactions: TripleT

·
Premium Member
26,427 Posts
SouthPawXJ said:
It would depend on the polymer used in the covers... I would imagine that they can properly spec a plastic to not melt at operating temperatures with a margin. Also, not all plastic melts (thermoset vs thermoplastic).
To add to that, if the plastic core did melt and the hot plastic landed on something flamable, it could be a sure fire starter...

Mike

·
Registered
681 Posts
The "batwing" cover was a heat shield covering the egr tube where it crosses from exhaust side to intake side on the 6.7. I'm guessing the issue has to do with egr plumbing, why they thought they needed a new cover, I don't know.

Why this wasn't addressed during the packaging process using heat rejection maps or during development at Baker Grade, I also don't know.

As insiders or technicians discover details, please post your findings, packaging issues (if it is a packaging issue) still interest me into retirement.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
One thing about this that really doesn't make sense is that it affects the Ram 2500's too... yet those are shipping and being sold and driven. If this is such a critical flaw that it's halted the shipping of Ram 3500's why in God's name are they still shipping Ram 2500's then... I know some guys are saying that the Ram 2500's they've test drove have had the cover removed so if that's a good enough solution for the Ram 2500 then why not the Ram 3500....

It leads me to believe that there are other issues at hand with some component that isn't shared between the models... i.e., frame or suspension since the Ram 3500 has the upgraded components.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are waiting as well for our 2013 megacab 3500. I Just got of the phone with the dealer and they were told that my truck is built and on quality hold because of axel noise issues on previous veichels tested. Ram is trying to resolve the issue before shipment.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
JTE said:
The "batwing" cover was a heat shield covering the egr tube where it crosses from exhaust side to intake side on the 6.7. I'm guessing the issue has to do with egr plumbing, why they thought they needed a new cover, I don't know.

Why this wasn't addressed during the packaging process using heat rejection maps or during development at Baker Grade, I also don't know.

As insiders or technicians discover details, please post your findings, packaging issues (if it is a packaging issue) still interest me into retirement.
The 2013s received a new, larger cover. The current fix seems to be reverting back to the 2012 Cover, or removing the cover all together.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Talked to my sales man again today and he was saying that all heavy duty truck's were coded shiped to storage location untill the front axle noise is fixed as well as the motor shroud to be replaced.
Looking for a shiping date to be next month.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
DaveAdmin said:
Sometimes suppliers quietly switch materials or manufacturing processes, leading to recalls. Not saying that was the case here but that's more likely than Chrysler not testing the new design.
I don't know if there is a supplier problem, under today's focus on quality, Id be surprised if that is the case, at least a problem of that cause.
I do agree that it likely has little to do with not testing, in fact that's likely how they found any supposed problem. The testing today is long and often. We already know the 2014's have been on the road testing for nearly a year, in heat and at altitude, so any rumored problem likely has roots elsewhere.
It could as simple as Chrysler not letting the trucks go until they are perfect, it could be a supplier not meeting production demands.
I remember a year or so ago, the Wrangler hardtop delayed Wrangler production over a troublesome fastener. It was a minor irritant, but meant the top was not perfect, so hardtop production was halted for several,months. I think ultimately a new supplier was found.

·
Administrator
35,986 Posts
Norm, we've seen the supplier bait and switch before — on Chrysler Cirrus. The supplier used one compound on the prototypes and switched to a cheaper compound for full production. They looked identical until they were in the sun for a month.

I doubt Chrysler does chemical analysis on every part after production has begun.

It's just one possibility. While they work hard on testing, you might be right in your supposition that they kept testing after production launched and found something then that would only occur under odd conditions. You know, like using imperfect gasoline in a V6 under just the wrong conditions ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
Yeah, they are shipping, ours is currently on a train in Louisiana on its way to us, should be here by the end of the month. It also has the higher output engine and new transmission.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts