Allpar Forums banner

2013 Ram 3500's

7K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  JRS200x 
#1 ·
What's the deal with the 2013 Ram 3500's?? Not on dealer lots and sold units aren't shipping??

#2 ·
Typical in this regime. I'm still thinking, they will leapfrog right to the 2014 models.

#3 ·
We have a 3500 in D1 status, meaning it is scheduled to be built. Shows the estimated ship date as 4-10.

Also means it has a registered VIN etc, so they are coming.

Also, they are just now starting to ship them, I know there are a few out there that should be showing up at dealers within the next couple weeks.

That being said, NONE of those have the AISIN if thats what you are interested in.

#4 ·
Just know that from following other forums that people who have ordered are getting really frustrated with what's been going on with the Ram 3500's... they have been told the gamut of things and have had their status go from one end of the spectrum to the other including being told their vehicle is built but in storage with no definite ship date, having the ship date lapse and getting a new ship date, etc...

I'm not in the market for a 3500 but have my eyes set on a 2500 Mega Cab...

This, in my opinion, is starting to become a black eye for Ram with guys who have ordered cancelling and looking elsewhere...

#6 ·
JRS200x said:
2500's are not affected by any delays that I am aware of, just the 3500s with the AISIN.
What is different about the 2013 AISIN, from say the 2012 AISIN, that would cause delays?
Did Chrysler cause this, did AISIN start selling to other brands, causing a jump in demand, did AISIN remodel the line???

#7 ·
MoparNorm said:
What is different about the 2013 AISIN, from say the 2012 AISIN, that would cause delays?
Did Chrysler cause this, did AISIN start selling to other brands, causing a jump in demand, did AISIN remodel the line???
Isnt the 2013 Aisin a new heavier duty one?

#9 ·
JRS200x said:
Yes, to pair up with the new higher output cummins in the 3500.
Thanks, so...is this a supplier issue, or???

#12 ·
JRS200x said:
What the issue truly is, I have no idea..

IF (and this is a big IF) our 3500 is truly being built and ships out on 4/10, it has the 6-Spd Auto Aisin AS69RC HD Trans, so everyone will start seeing them shortly... but again, who knows.
Even if it leaves the plant on 4/10 doesn't it still have long ride to go? A friend of mine ordered a 3500 2 years ago, it took 3 weeks after it was built to get it across the border into the US. :glare:

#13 ·
According to a member on a different forum, his truck was actually built, after many delays, and his build status going back and forth. The truck was put into quality control for final inspection, and it, as well as 9 more were scrapped due to frame issues? I am not sure what the issue actually is...I would have to agree with kscummins driver, does not look good for the company! Problems like this push prospective buyers to brand F and C...lets hope they get this issue worked out.

#14 ·
dieseldog1970 said:
According to a member on a different forum, his truck was actually built, after many delays, and his build status going back and forth. The truck was put into quality control for final inspection, and it, as well as 9 more were scrapped due to frame issues? I am not sure what the issue actually is...I would have to agree with kscummins driver, does not look good for the company! Problems like this push prospective buyers to brand F and C...lets hope they get this issue worked out.
That sounds more like an overmatched salesperson making up a lame excuse, than fact.
If there were really serious issues, that story would likely never leave the factory. At least not relayed to a salesperson, in that manner.
The real problem seems to be the new transmission availability, not some secret defect.
That frame has been in production since at least 2009, with numerous variants, up to 30,000 lbs rating, I seriously doubt there is an issue with it.

#15 ·
MoparNorm said:
That sounds more like an overmatched salesperson making up a lame excuse, than fact.
If there were really serious issues, that story would likely never leave the factory. At least not relayed to a salesperson, in that manner.
The real problem seems to be the new transmission availability, not some secret defect.
That frame has been in production since at least 2009, with numerous variants, up to 30,000 lbs rating, I seriously doubt there is an issue with it.
I'm on the same forum as the previous poster... lets just say the truck buyer has connections inside "Chrysler" that go all the way to the top; he's a former employee. It's not info he's getting from his salesman it's info he got from the manufacturing plant. His truck was built along with 9 others and immediately shipped to QC and then the fun started culminating with the vehicles being destroyed. His info has always been spot on. He even admitted that he shouldn't have said anything in a public forum about the issue after the mini firestorm it set off.

Regardless of what the cause is; the point remains that 3500's aren't on dealer lots, sold units haven't shipped (his truck still sits in storage and his ship date has constantly been changed) and Ram is 8 months behind the competition when it comes to the 3500's...

Ram has done themselves no favors with the 2013 HD release...from the lack of a build&price site when the order bank opened to only allowing 3.42 gears for the Ram 2500 with Cummins and then the delay getting the big bad Ram 3500 to buyers it's not been the best start.

#16 ·
I'm really starting to wonder what the heck is going on at Chrysler.
Is it the loss of long time Chrysler managers?
New inexperienced, workers and managers?
People put into positions over their head?
A lack of respect for the people and processes that were here before Fiat took over?
Something is missing and it isn't good.

#17 ·
MoparNorm said:
I'm really starting to wonder what the heck is going on at Chrysler.
Is it the loss of long time Chrysler managers?
New inexperienced, workers and managers?
People put into positions over their head?
A lack of respect for the people and processes that were here before Fiat took over?
Something is missing and it isn't good.
Not sure what's going on.... seemed like they had the big reveal of the 2013 HD's and it's been all downhill since then.

I know that enthusiast forums are a small sliver of owners/potential owners but small things like only allowing 3.42 gears on 2500's with the Cummins has people really questioning their next purchase. With the 68RFE and stock tires you're cruising at 1600ish RPM at 70mph... you go any bigger on tires and you're probably going to want to lock out 6th gear (or drive faster if legal) to keep the engine in it's power band. I suppose it shouldn't be a concern of Ram whether you want to run 33's or 35's but lots of guys go straight from the showroom to the tire store. At least one 2013 owner ordered aftermarket 4.10's for his truck to run bigger tires on it.

The build & price just went live last week but you could order from a dealer months ago. Not everyone wants to talk to a dealer just to get the MSRP on a vehicle.

It does sound like the Ram 2500's are getting good reviews from owners. Fuel economy is (as expected) increased over the 2012's

#18 ·
After ordering a new truck every other year, or so, for the last decade or two, i have come to realize a few things. if you order a truck in january, and it is licensed and you are driving it in june, you are doing about right. If these people go to C or F, they will see similar delays. It's part of the business. Our are up-fitted, but that always takes fourteen days, no more.

I allow at least 6 months to get a truck, from the time I place the order, to the time I drive it off the lot. If it arrives, earlier... Bonus. I have driven about ten company trucks, and at least half took longer than six months. You simply HAVE to plan for this.

#20 ·
Muther said:
After ordering a new truck every other year, or so, for the last decade or two, i have come to realize a few things. if you order a truck in january, and it is licensed and you are driving it in june, you are doing about right. If these people go to C or F, they will see similar delays. It's part of the business. Our are up-fitted, but that always takes fourteen days, no more.

I allow at least 6 months to get a truck, from the time I place the order, to the time I drive it off the lot. If it arrives, earlier... Bonus. I have driven about ten company trucks, and at least half took longer than six months. You simply HAVE to plan for this.
Ha! My Chassis/Cab was at the outfitters for two months before I could pick it up, I made two monthly payments before I saw it.
The woman at Chrysler, calling me to ask how I liked my month old Dodge Ram was very confused when I told her, "I don't know, it hasn't been delivered yet!" ;)

#21 ·
MoparNorm said:
Ha! My Chassis/Cab was at the outfitters for two months before I could pick it up, I made two monthly payments before I saw it.
The woman at Chrysler, calling me to ask how I liked my month old Dodge Ram was very confused when I told her, "I don't know, it hasn't been delivered yet!" ;)
:lol:

#22 ·
Yes, that was an issue for us, too. We changed up fitters, because of it. The new up fitter gauranteed their completion dates, as long as we communicated with them properly, and made other promises to them (unfamiliar with the details).

I budget six months from the date I fill out our order form, until the date it is delivered, any sooner and its a bonus. I have NEVER EVER EVER gotten one in less than four months.

THE BAD: we changed to Chevy's. I have been in a Chevy for almost a year now. Though the interior is tons better than the old Ram I really miss the Hemi. I don't care what anybody says, the RAM hemi, is the best damn gas engine available in a pick up. Strong as freaking heck. It beats the big Chevy and Ford hands down. It is not even a contest. The Ram auto is better, as is the rest of the running gear. I miss the lever, though the e-tron transfer case IS very nice. Overall? In spite of the worse interior, I much prefer the Ram. I can carry 3000lbs in the bed, and tow 5000 and it sits up and begs for more. Ride her hard, and she wants more of it.

The Chevy gets winded pretty easily.

(NOTE: The worse Ram interiror was probably due more to our spec, than anything else, AND the vast improvement in Chevy's interior quality. Ford is OTB. In spite of hte fact they are a large customer of ours, we won't buy their trucks.)

#23 ·
#24 ·
I'm trying to figure out just what, on the plastic engine cover, is flammable???
Did they add a fiber sound batt to it, on this model?

#26 ·
Stratuscaster said:
The replacement cover is described as being "batwing shaped". :huh:Is there perhaps sound deadener in the cover itself?Then again "led to a fire" doesn't mean the cover itself caught fire.
True, it may be trapping heat that ignites something else under the hood, but one would think the plastic cover would melt, prior to anything that might be ignited at say... 451 degrees?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.