Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From pictures of the interior cabin for the 2013 Dodge Ram, it appears that the transmission selector lever (column or console) has been eliminated. In its place there is a rotary knob on the dash with indicators of P, R, N, D. So that means transmission range selection is controlled electrically. So what happens when the battery goes dead???? Probably cannot get the transmission out of Park position which is a "real pain" if you need the vehicle towed???? Has shorted-sighted engineering struck again????

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Well it is hard to say. And usually when a battery is "dead" it isn't really dead, there just isn't enough power left in the battery to get the engine to start. I doubt shifting would take as much power as cranking over an engine.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Not to fear. The engineers have provided a Park-release override lever. It is just above the parking brake release handle under a trim cover that pops off. It is conveniently located at the lower left corner of the instrument panel.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The knob is only 8 speed auto applications; 3/4 and 1 ton gas and diesel with their 6 speed autos will still have the column shift, as will 1500 4.7 models and 6 speed Hemi models (I don't believe the 8 speed will be behind the 4.7 and it's an option on Hemi).

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I'd like to get rid of the shift lever in my 2010 1500.

That and the stupid cruise control on a stick. I'd like to meet whoever thought that was the best approach.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts