Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting close to the first oil change at 7500 miles. Does anyone have any recommendations concerning brands? I think that the recommended weight is 5w30.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Gasoline engine? Any premium quality name brand motor oil that meets the recommendations in the owners manual. The API certification and MS-6395 spec must be mentioned on the bottle. After the change, reset your Oilminder (if equipped) to restart the oil change countdown. That procedure should be also in your owners manual.

Use an engine oil that is API Certified and Licensed to display the certification mark. MOPAR® provides engine oils that meet or exceed, Material Standard MS-6395 requirement.
The Engine Oil Certification Mark was developed and trademarked by the API to refer customers to those engine oils preferred by the automobile manufacturers. This symbol means that the oil has been certified and licensed by the American Petroleum Institute (API). This certification mark will only be found on the front of the oil containers. Those oils that do not display the “Mark” on the front of the container should not be used.
Chrysler only recommends API Certified engine oils that meet the requirements of Material Standard MS-6395. Use Mopar or an equivalent oil meeting the specification MS-6395.

SYNTHETIC ENGINE OILS
There are a number of engine oils being promoted as either synthetic or semi-synthetic. If you choose to use such a product, use only those oils that are certified by the American Petroleum Institute (API) to display the “Certification Mark” and show SAE viscosity grade recommended for each vehicle. Follow the service schedule that describes your driving type.

ENGINE OIL ADDITIVES/SUPPLEMENTS
The manufacturer does not recommend the addition of any engine oil additives/supplements to the specified engine oil. Engine oil additives/supplements should not be used to enhance engine oil performance. Engine oil additives/supplements should not be used to extend engine oil change intervals. No additive is known to be safe for engine durability and can degrade emission components. Additives can contain undesirable materials that harm the long term durability of engines and emission systems by:

1. Increasing the level of Phosphorus and Sulfur in the engine oil. The API Certified Engine Oils control the Phosphorus and Sulfur contents of the oil to levels that reduce the contamination effect on the vehicle's emission control system.
  2. Altering the viscosity characteristics of the engine oil so that it no longer meets the requirements of the specified viscosity grade.
  3. Creating potential for an undesirable additive compatibility interaction in the engine crankcase. The engine oils contain a performance additive system carefully developed to optimize the oil's performance in the engine. The addition of supplements may cause the oil to thicken prematurely, cause excessive deposit build-up and potentially shorten engine life.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,685 Posts
dajeep said:
I am getting close to the first oil change at 7500 miles. Does anyone have any recommendations concerning brands? I think that the recommended weight is 5w30.
Check your owner's manual or "guide". If you didn't get an actual paper manual, they are available as a pdf. Go to www.dodge.com and then click on "owners", them owners manuals (you don't have to log in) and then using the drop down windows find your vehicle and you can download the manual and/or guide in pdf format. Just make sure you have Adobe reader on your pc (it's a free download if you don't).

That said, it may depend on the engine as to the recommended oil. As far as I know, all Hemi's require 5w-20. Not sure about the 4.7L or 3.6L The Hemi requires 5w-20 due to the MDS and VVT technology

And as IC pointed out only use oil that is marked API and meets (or exceeds) the MS-6395 specification.

I'm not sold on synthetics. I've used regular oil marked with the API label and met MS-6395 specs for all my vehicles and logged well over 200K with three of them (one had over 300K). My current vehicle, a 2006 Ram w/Hemi, has over 185K and has been serviced with 5w-20 regularly. Just be warned some oils that claim to be "synthetic" are actually semisynthetic (made from Group III stocks) while true synthetics are made from Group IV stock.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
I think that the Pentastar V6 is now 5W-30. The OP didn't state which engine he had.
Go with the owners manual recommendation.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. guys. It is a Hemi I am very pleased with the truck, however, the cruise control is intermittent and I will take it in to have it checked out.

·
Registered
699 Posts
dajeep----I am of the belief that 7500 miles is stretching things for an oil change interval. I use 5000 on my 3.7 Dakota. It also easy to remember for an old guy; if the mileage is x0,000 or x5,000 you get a mental reminder to change it, no math involved whereas adding the 7500 to the last 7500 is mental gymnastics making it easy to overlook when changes are due.

The purpose is to get the byproducts of combustion out of the crankcase, thus preserving the engine, and for normal driving every 5 grand hits the mark IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts