Allpar Forums banner

2014 Cherokee - alternate renderings/requests

40K views 162 replies 63 participants last post by  MoparNorm 
Someone else has asked about taking the chrome off the lower grille - this is my incredibly crappy attempt:

I'm almost of the opinion that, with the simple removal of the chrome on the lower grille, the split lighting styling is acceptable.

If it follows the Grand, I would anticipate that the entry-level (Laredo?) model would have a non-chrome lower grille. The model pictured is the Limited.

I wouldn't say the Juke looks horrible. "Quirky" perhaps. I'm somewhat amazed that the same platform that gives us the bland and uninspiring Versa also gives us the Juke and the Cube.

That image reminds me of the joke:

"Hey, I see you've got a receding hairline."
"It's not a receding hairline, it's a protruding forehead."

Reactions: suzq044
Combining them into 1 thread would - at this time - do more harm than good. I hesitate to just blindly merge threads into the DoJ thread because there are those that simply will NOT read it because of it's length.

Eventually, the threads will be moved about and pared down.

MoparNorm said:
Even my GPS system has an ambient light sensor that knows to turn the screen from white to black after the sun goes down. ;)
My GPS uses sunrise/sunset time of day for that.

My new-to-me Olds Intrigue does have an ambient light sensor that turns on (and off) the headlights. Sometimes, it's wrong.

Because that's not a Cherokee. That's an Alfa Giulietta-bodied development mule with a Jeep-style front fascia.

jimboy said:
I can certainly understand that there are different TITLES to the various threads, Norm, but the substance is the same in ALL of them. I have bothered to read most of what's been said, and it is mostly a rehash from one to the other. To date - Do you like or hate the new design, Is it a real Jeep, Will it sell? I am not denigrating Jeep afficionados, merely commenting that there is a lot of superfluous verbiage being generated that could be handled in one or two threads.

I would comment the same way were it a Chrysler or Dodge/Ram thread, and there is also the "death of Jeep" thread which I did not include in my quick count this a.m.
I commend everyone's interest and wish to comment, myself included, but I still think the topic has splintered into too many discussions.

Stratus is correct, and I know that everyone will calm down soon, but it's feeling a bit chicken-coopish in here lately!

And, there is STILL ' the death of Jeep' thread.
Some of that has to do with folks not "sticking to the topic as described in the title." ;)

Jesting aside - I understand what you (and others) are saying.

Unless I'm sitting in one, in the dark, I can't/won't speak to the functionality of the headlight placement.

pabbloz said:
I like it! An aggressive and also innovative design without looking Korean!
Is being "Korean-looking" a bad thing? :huh:

What exactly IS "Korean-looking" when it comes to vehicles? :huh:

Sometimes folks see "familiar" as "better."

I like the front styling on my old Stratus more than the styling on my new-to-me Olds Intrigue, but there's no question that the actual functional lighting is much better on the Olds.

I suppose that depends on what you consider to be the "eyes."

pabbloz said:
But this Cherokee exterior design (or new paradigm) was IMO not effective because the nameplate and its history was not respected. So they are using a nameplate but not respecting its heritage.
So again, the issue isn't really the design itself - it's that they put the Cherokee name (and thus it's legacy and heritage) ON the design.

Hey...you know who else is Asian? Osamu Shikado. He's currently the Design Manager at Hyundai's American Tech Center and worked at Toyota for a spell. You might be familiar with some of his past work, like the 1983 Toyota Corolla, the 1990 Toyota Camry, the 2008 Hyundai Genesis Coupe, the 2010 Hyundai Tuscon, the 2011 Hyundai Sonata, the 2011 Hyundai Elantra, and the 2012 Hyundai Accent.

Oh, and the 1998 Chrysler Chronos Concept, the 1999 Chrysler Citadel Concept, the 2000 Dodge Viper GTS-R Concept, and the second-gen Dodge Viper production cars.

Another designer of Asian descent was Larry Shinoda. He's done a few things too, like the Mako Shark concept that influenced later Corvettes, the original Boss 302 Mustang, and the XJC Concept that evolved into the ZJ Grand Cherokee.

Just a little history lesson for today. ;)

MoparNorm said:
If you add a brush guard to this snout, the approach angle goes from 18 degrees to 8... ;)
Note that I said nothing about improving approach angles. Selling profitable accessories is a whole 'nother line of business. ;)

Judging from what's available from Mopar on the Compass, we'll see things like fuel filler doors, pedals, shift knobs, chrome mirror and door handle caps, and molded cargo area trays. All highly profitable, I'm sure. ;)

Oh, and slush mats. Can't forget the slush mats.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.