Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always understood that trailer tongue weight should be 10/15% of trailer weight with 60/65% of trailer weight in front of trailer axle. My current 2002 Liberty has a factory installed towing package and is rated for 5000# with a maximum trailer tongue weight of 750# (15% of 5000#) and in 12 years I have never had a towing problem with my boat.

I notice the 2014 Cherokee manuel states that a factory installed towing package is rated for 4500# with a maximum trailer tongue weight of 450# (10% of 4500#).

Why is the maximum not 675# (15% of 4500#) allowing a larger cushion?

I use my Liberty to pull my boat (est. Gross Trailer Weight 3300/3400#) and am looking at the new Cherokee to replace my Liberty, but it needs to be able to tow my boat with the same ease as my Liberty. I understand limitations of GVWR, GAWR, & GCWR and realize I could be getting close with 4 adults in vehicle although this is not the usual case.

I'm concerned I could be getting too close to towing limitations with the Cherokee and would appreciate receiving your opinion, as I do not want to have any future problems.

I have surge brakes on my boat trailer.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Actually 10% tongue weight has been the exact recommendation for most U.S. vehicles for many decades unless you're using a weight distributing hitch. Some trucks with more rear spring stiffness than needed for decent ride can tolerate 15-20% tongue loads. European vehicles have always tended to have much loser tongue loads, 5% or less. Those numbers are for "bumper pull" stuff, 5th wheel and gooseneck rigs can run much higher tongue loads.

You may need to shift your boat a little to the rear on your trailer to get the tongue load down to 450lbs, but it'll tow fine.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Actually, with single axle boat trailers, the recommended tongue weight is 7.5 to 10%, so you should be good on that account.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for input. I don't really think my boat is over the 10% limit and I'm going to try and get it weighed before purchasing the new Cherokee to make sure I'm well within limits and keep my mind at ease. I purchased my Liberty specifically to tow my boat and wanted to replace it with the Cherokee but was having concerns with reduced towing and tongue weights.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
It's always best to weigh your rig rather than trying to calculate it from various published weights. An amazing amount of stuff seems to make it onto a boat and it all adds weight.

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
Not to mention the fact that published weights are often completely out in left field. I've never known a car to be very close to its supposed curb weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts