Allpar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Ram with 11,000 miles. I was driving down the road doing about 40 mph when the engine light went on. I checked my gauges and my oil pressure was 99 psi. I was two miles from a dealership. I left it there and got a call from them in about three days. The piston had cracked in half and scored the side of the piston cylinder. Chrysler decided to replace the entire engine. The dealership gave me a loaner. I got the truck back yesterday and it is running fine. The service manager believes the problem occurred in the foundry. He said he has never seen anything like it. Anyway kudos to Chrysler for doing the right thing.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,975 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Which engine do you have?
Chrysler had a '70% rule' when I was at the dealer. If the cost of parts to repair an assembly reached 70% of the cost of a complete assembly, we replaced the assembly.
Since your block, a piston and connecting rod and other required parts reached this number, it was best to replace the assembly.
The problem does sound like it started with a piston metallurgy fault that tore up the cylinder.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,456 Posts
Do you mean doing the right thing by honoring the warranty that was paid for with the vehicle? Or not manufacturing an engine without a serious defect?
One engine failure out of how many manufactured? Humans are imperfect. They build imperfect machines which are used to manufacture imperfect engines. Statistically, it's bound to happen no matter who the manufacturer is.

I really don't see the issue here. There was an engine failure and Chrysler honored the warranty.

·
Registered
8,930 Posts
I'm happy to hear that you got it replaced without any kind of hassle. So, you got the rare engine that had a defect. At least Chrysler gave you a new one and you're happy with it. THAT'S what is important here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts