Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
V8 - 14/23 is good. I wonder when we will see more stop-start systems added to other vehicles? Can't wait to see what the diesel is going to get - 30HWY?

·
Registered
149 Posts
wonder how much more they could eke out of it if they brought over some of the Ram tech to the Durango like the air suspension and active grill shutters. Then trow in some nice lightweight rims, full synthetic fluids all around and you might see 25 HWY out of the 5.7!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
It was never designed for the air suspension. I'm looking at a bare WD floor pan right now and I can't see where the air tank would go...

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
SUNBURNTsnype said:
wonder how much more they could eke out of it if they brought over some of the Ram tech to the Durango like the air suspension and active grill shutters. Then trow in some nice lightweight rims, full synthetic fluids all around and you might see 25 HWY out of the 5.7!
Since the Durango is built upon the Grand Cherokee platform, it's not going to be able to use the air springs from the Ram, but it can use the air springs from the Grand Cherokee.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
SUNBURNTsnype said:
And how does Chrysler pay for all of that. The Ram was significantly redesigned for all that cool aero tech. The Durango was just a mild refresh.

Would have been nice, but it wasn't in the cards.

Mike

·
Registered
149 Posts
obviously its not financially feasible, just thinking out loud what else could be done to make the efficiency even better. Do you guys know how much of a difference in EPA numbers or real world economy numbers those two features(grill shutters and air suspension) make on the ram in hwy driving? 1-2 mpg or is that being overly optimistic?

·
Registered
482 Posts
How likely are we to see the diesel in this generation of Durango? I kind of doubt it, but maybe in the next generation or the Wagoneer of they make it. I'd like the acceleration of the Hemi, but 30ish mpg would be hard to turn down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
For what its worth: We were at the local country fair yesterday and the local dealer had their usual display of various Mopars. My wife and I were checking out both the Durango and the GC and my wife mentioned she strongly preferred the GC over the Durango, which she felt was "too big" compared to the GC. When I explained its basically the same vehicle, the salesman stepped in to say the 2014 Durango will essentially be a re-badged GC, with even less differentiation that the present models.

I doubt this is true, but there could be a couple of reasons for this happening. First, the GC sells in much greater numbers than the Durango and perhaps Chrysler's research shows that a lot of buyers that cross-shop the two feel the same way my wife does. Or, the Durango is being down-sized slightly so it won't step on the upcoming Wagoneer.

I realize this is all speculation on my part, but maybe someone in the know could shed a little light?

BTW, our trip to the fair resulted in a disagreement over whether she gets a GC next, or I get a Charger RT.

·
Not THAT guy again!
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Miles11 said:
For what its worth: We were at the local country fair yesterday and the local dealer had their usual display of various Mopars. My wife and I were checking out both the Durango and the GC and my wife mentioned she strongly preferred the GC over the Durango, which she felt was "too big" compared to the GC. When I explained its basically the same vehicle, the salesman stepped in to say the 2014 Durango will essentially be a re-badged GC, with even less differentiation that the present models.

I doubt this is true, but there could be a couple of reasons for this happening. First, the GC sells in much greater numbers than the Durango and perhaps Chrysler's research shows that a lot of buyers that cross-shop the two feel the same way my wife does. Or, the Durango is being down-sized slightly so it won't step on the upcoming Wagoneer.

I realize this is all speculation on my part, but maybe someone in the know could shed a little light?

BTW, our trip to the fair resulted in a disagreement over whether she gets a GC next, or I get a Charger RT.
The only thing changing on the 2014 Durango is the front clip, rear clip, and dash. Size, and the difference between the Durango and JGC, has not changed. The Durango is larger, it was meant to be, even though it is on the same platform as the JGC. You can see it most in side profile pictures where the rear of the Durango has been stretched by several inches to make room for a third row.

The salesman, well, was just being a salesman.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Don't forget that the Durango is also taller.

The salesguy is full of it. For 2014, they are even MORE differentiated now.

·
Not THAT guy again!
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave said:
Agreed. The idea of reduced differentiation is absurd. I suspect the visual changes were done mainly to emphasize the new transmission.
Not to mention, it looks better :)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
SUNBURNTsnype said:
I wouldn't want air suspension, just something else expensive to go wrong , give me a standard shock, strut setup please...

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
" I wouldn't want air suspension, just something else expensive to go wrong , give me a standard shock, strut setup please..."
- so true, this setup is good for the first owner under warranty.
If they want to have these functions look at citroen and their gashydraulic suspension. ( but look only at the suspension the rest is crap! )

·
Super Moderator
3,522 Posts
dakrt99 said:
1. I wonder when we will see more stop-start systems added to other vehicles?

2. Can't wait to see what the diesel is going to get - 30HWY?
1. Oh, I would probably venture to say "very soon" :).

2. Not aware of any plans for a diesel in the current Durango, don't think you'll see it. Chrysler has its hands full launching the GC diesel, after months and months of delays. The expected take rate for the GC diesel, at least initially, is around 10%. Apply a similar take rate to the Durango and you'd be looking at maybe 500-600 units/month, not enough I believe to justify/offset the development costs.

·
Mopar-nac The Moderator
26,427 Posts
oh2o said:
1. Oh, I would probably venture to say "very soon" :).

2. Not aware of any plans for a diesel in the current Durango, don't think you'll see it. Chrysler has its hands full launching the GC diesel, after months and months of delays. The expected take rate for the GC diesel, at least initially, is around 10%. Apply a similar take rate to the Durango and you'd be looking at maybe 500-600 units/month, not enough I believe to justify/offset the development costs.
I'm hoping the demand will be better than that for the GC... Pushing the Durango to happen too.

Mike

·
3,813 Posts
I'm hoping the demand will be better than that for the GC... Pushing the Durango to happen too.

Mike
It will be, the diesel is going to have a 15% production mix and early interest/demand on it has been pretty high. I have a number of customers who are waiting on it. I expect the take rate to be closer to 15/20%.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts