Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ordering a 2014 Durango in the fall. I'd like to know when the pricing is going to be available and the Durango's release date.

The only thing that would keep me on the sidelines would be confirmation of the building of a Jeep "Grand Wagoneer" or some sort of three row Jeep. I'm not trying to set off a rumor chain, but if someone has solid confirmation such a project is definitely being considered by Chrysler management, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested. I'm sure most of us agree this would be logical step, but sometimes predicting management's actions is impossible. This would be my third Durango (1999, 2007), but I'm somewhat concerned the Durango may not be in the Dodge stable much longer.

I'm looking forward to owing a Chrysler product again. Thanks for the input.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
They never confirm future model information, so for now, Wagoneer is still a rumor and if true, possibly one to two years away, or not at all.
While I have no info on the 2014, the Durango you can see and touch and buy now... ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Mopar Norm. Unless I order a Grand Cherokee, I'll be ordering a Durango in October. I'm predisposed toward a Durango.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
okdurango99 said:
Thanks, Mopar Norm. Unless I order a Grand Cherokee, I'll be ordering a Durango in October. I'm predisposed toward a Durango.
I was in a Black & Tan Durango, a while back, very, very nice.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
okdurango99 said:
In case someone beside me is interested. The base price stays the same, but the rest of the models see price increases.
Here is a quote that should be picked up by Dodge Marketing:

"The 2013 Dodge Durango is currently ranked third out of 21 in our affordable midsize SUV rankings. Do you think the 2014 model's new standard features will help keep it near the top of the class?"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pricing from Dealers was out on Saturday August 10 as I got a full breakdown on a Citadel AWD with most of the options on that day. The RT and Citadel got $1k base price increases but there is a Chrysler Corp discount for $500 out until the end of September (not published, you have to express interest via Dodge web site link to the 2014 Durango - got it in the mail about a month ago) and possibility of additional discounts in September to help finish out the year on a continued sales increase. Of course, whatever they decide to offer in September (if anything) won't come close to the 2013 discounts.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MoparNorm said:
Here is a quote that should be picked up by Dodge Marketing:

"The 2013 Dodge Durango is currently ranked third out of 21 in our affordable midsize SUV rankings. Do you think the 2014 model's new standard features will help keep it near the top of the class?"
I personally like Car and Drivers take on the Durango. While perhaps not politically correct, the Durango, particularly with the Hemi, is the only three row SUV/Crossover in its class that doesn't resemble a minivan (Pathfinder) or isn't based upon a car (Explorer). I'll be interested to see the ad campaign for the 2014 Durango. The eight speed transmission should eliminate a major objection regarding the Durango.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-dodge-durango-photos-and-info-news

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cars.com has the pricing for the 2014 Durango. I'm interested in the Limited and the configuration of the options is entirely different from the Crew the Limited replaces.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Durango shipped. I'll provide some real world, real owner feedback.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
okdurango99 said:
My Durango shipped. I'll provide some real world, real owner feedback.
Look forward to reading your report.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm slow on this response. To briefly summarize, I ordered and received a 2014 AWD Dodge Durango Citadel with the 5.7L V-8 in early December of 2013.

My first impressions was it was it handled nicely for a vehicle this size. The Hemi is great to have. I drove a the 3.6L V-6 and while I wasn't unimpressed, I'm glad I selected the V-8 for the incremental performance. My fuel economy driving 9-10 miles to work on a mix of streets and interstate is slightly less than 17 MPG. On trips, I range from 20 - 22 MPG. The interior on is excellent with a very nice look and feel. I chose the bench seat on the second row because I like the look better. Since I've had the vehicle, the only time the back seat is used is when there is more than five people. People would rather sit three in the second row than two in the second row and one in the third. People in the third row feel to distant from the rest of the passengers and driver. However, if I still had children at home, I probably would have purchased the second row captain/buckets.

A large disappoint was the fit and finish of the vehicle. This is my third Durango (1999 and 2007) and the exterior fit and finish is quite disappointing. Of the three, this one has the worst fit and finish. At the front of the hood on the driver's side a dime will barely fit between the hood and the fender. At the back of the hood on the same side, you can place 3 quarters with room to spare between the hood and fender. Additionally, the driver's door doesn't align well either. You can feel the back edge of the door with this closed. When Motor Trend was evaluating the Durango, the Motor Trend writers commented on these issues; they indicated quality issues probably resulted in the Durango not receiving SUV of the year award. I realize I didn't purchase a Lexus/Infiniti/Mercedes, but I still feel Fiat Chrysler should have done better. Based upon my experience I can understand why the head of quality lost his job.

Since I purchased my Durango, it has been announced the Durango will discontinued after 2015. I was aware of this possibility so I wasn't really surprised. I also noticed that when the announcement was made to discontinued, there was some figurative head-scratching in the press because the Durango was selling relatively well; despite what I feel is a complete lack of marketing and ad campaign for the Durango since the Will Ferrell/Anchorman spots.

In summary, my Durango is good vehicle whose quality execution made my experience less than it should have been.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
The body panel fit is fairly easily adjustable with the aid of a helper and a good eye. I'm sorry that the vehicle was delivered to you in mis-alignment.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The body panel fit is fairly easily adjustable with the aid of a helper and a good eye. I'm sorry that the vehicle was delivered to you in mis-alignment.
I'm out of the first 12 months of warranty. I was wanted to report the Durango was near perfect and a great alternative to higher priced luxury models.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Mine was adjusted properly. 17k miles in and all is well. My Citadel impresses all who ride in it especially at the price.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Reflecting back when I started working in this carreer field as a tech (1979), when I first got out of the Army, my first dealer was a Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge/AMC/Jeep/and later Renault. Chrysler had so many recalls and quality problems with so many models, but AMC/Jeep seemed to have the best quality control back then. If we found some problem with an AMC/Jeep problem and wrote up the ticket, we got a call from the factory rep to follow up and hope fully it wasn't a bunch of vehicles with a problem because AMC would jump right onto the culprit with vigor. FCA today is doing a lot better, but that quality control will get you as a first time buyer off the lot and have a problem. That gives you, the consumer a bad taste in your mouth and may never come back to a FCA vehicle.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Reflecting back when I started working in this carreer field as a tech (1979), when I first got out of the Army, my first dealer was a Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge/AMC/Jeep/and later Renault. Chrysler had so many recalls and quality problems with so many models, but AMC/Jeep seemed to have the best quality control back then. If we found some problem with an AMC/Jeep problem and wrote up the ticket, we got a call from the factory rep to follow up and hope fully it wasn't a bunch of vehicles with a problem because AMC would jump right onto the culprit with vigor. FCA today is doing a lot better, but that quality control will get you as a first time buyer off the lot and have a problem. That gives you, the consumer a bad taste in your mouth and may never come back to a FCA vehicle.
You're a Vet, you should know it's FTA....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I suspect I'll be back purchasing FCA products. It's unfortunate either the dealer or the customer have to correct an obvious fit and finish issue.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
Most vehicles arrive at the dealer from the factory in good condition. If a problem occurs during shipment, the car carrier operator fills out damage paperwork for the hand-off to the dealer.
It is the 'Dealer Prep' before the sale that is supposed to catch and rectify any functional or cosmetic issues. There is a New Vehicle Inspection checklist the technician has to fill out and sign. It pays well and should be done with care.
After some time has elapsed after purchase, paint, trim and body panel alignment issues become a customer responsibility unless you can convince them otherwise.
It is not difficult to align body panels yourself with the assistance of another set of hands. It is basically a matter of loosening fasteners, shifting panels into alignment, retightening fasteners and then adjusting the hood and door latch strikers as necessary. Done!
You don't have to live with poorly fitting panels if it bothers you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts