Allpar Forums banner

2014 Jeep Cherokee trailer hitch wireharness no power?

14K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  AllanC 
#1 ·
bought our 2014 Cherokee new in 2014. I installed a MOPAR factory hitch (bumper beam type), new bumper cover and MOPAR wire harness kit.

Things have worked well since. A while back i had some issues with the trailer wiring and wasn't getting any lights on the tailer. I disconnected the batter on the Cherokee for a bit to reset things and the trailer lites started working again.

last fall i wasn't getting lights again so i was poking around with my multi-meter to see if i had voltage and had a small spark and then nothing at all. ALL the Jeep lights work fine. no issues.

I presume i may have shorted something and blew a fuse.

SInce this was not put on at the factory none of the fuses in the fuse box for normal trailer towing accessories work.

so, does anyone know where the problem might be staring with what fuse should i check?
I've attached a couple sections of the installation manual that came with the MOPAR wire harness. Specifically looking at the wire in views 25 and 26 where you plug the wireharness wire into the plug under the drivers knee bolster. Nothing obvious in the owners manual or fuse box that would power this.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most likely the hitch requires the physical hitch installation plus the wiring. Then the wiring is enabled through the computer so the new accessory gets power.
This was how it was done on my 2014 Durango. I know there Cherokee is different, but I suspect the same process is involved.

#3 ·
. . . I disconnected the batter on the Cherokee for a bit to reset things and the trailer lites started working again. . . .

last fall i wasn't getting lights again so i was poking around with my multi-meter to see if i had voltage and had a small spark and then nothing at all. ALL the Jeep lights work fine. no issues.

I presume i may have shorted something and blew a fuse. . . .
Did you install the wiring harness kit yourself or did you pay another party to install? There should be a power wire for the wiring harness that connects to the positive terminal at the fuse box / TIPM. Also I would expect there to be an inline fuse holder for that power wire. I would check and see if present that the fuse is good.

I found this Y T video that shows installation of the MOPAR trailer tow wiring harness on 2014 Jeep Cherokee.

At time interval 14:20 the presenter attaches the trailer tow wiring module. Find that module and check for 12 volt power. I would expect a red wire from the engine compartment to provide constant power to the module.

At time interval 19:25 connection of power wire to fuse box terminal. Time interval 19:40 the presenter shows a connector which could be the inline fuse holder.

If you find power to the lighting module but no operation your short circuit might have damaged and caused the lighting module to fail.

#4 ·
Did you install the wiring harness kit yourself or did you pay another party to install? There should be a power wire for the wiring harness that connects to the positive terminal at the fuse box / TIPM. Also I would expect there to be an inline fuse holder for that power wire. I would check and see if present that the fuse is good.

I found this Y T video that shows installation of the MOPAR trailer tow wiring harness on 2014 Jeep Cherokee.

At time interval 14:20 the presenter attaches the trailer tow wiring module. Find that module and check for 12 volt power. I would expect a red wire from the engine compartment to provide constant power to the module.

At time interval 19:25 connection of power wire to fuse box terminal. Time interval 19:40 the presenter shows a connector which could be the inline fuse holder.

If you find power to the lighting module but no operation your short circuit might have damaged and caused the lighting module to fail.
thanks for the video,
My set up did not have a wire to the battery. only 1 wire that goes to the plug under the steering wheel in BOX #29 in the instructions. Maybe the one in this video is newer car/harness kit or a different set up for trailhawks??? anyway. it had worked fine for 6 years.

I haven't gotten around to pulling the interior out (huge pain in a##) to check the small box and wires in the back (14minute area in video). I cannot remember if there was a fuse in there or not. It seemed like there were 2 things. the small box and maybe another small item inline in one of the wires. > if so, then possibly an inline fuse. Lousy place to put one but possible.
**so anyway. that is part of the reason for my question and post to see if anyone knew anything about how the system is powered and/or which fuse under the hood to inspect before taking the Cherokee apart.

Thanks.

#8 ·
Yes, Item F in the wire harness picture is the plug that installs in the hitch/bumper. It has the "old style" flat and the more modern round both.

I wonder if the black box is goofed up then the plug was shorted.

#9 ·
. . . I wonder if the black box is goofed up then the plug was shorted. . . .
Time to do some testing / check out of circuits. Check holder wire tied under dash for a fuse. If found check to make sure it is good. Once that is verified move to the rear.

You have indicated that the rear lamps are working properly. So the left rear and right rear lamp assemblies have power. See attached diagram and check for power input to the lighting module supplied with the trailer tow adapter harness. If power into the lighting module but no power out then the module has failed. Conclusive proof.

I have included a schematic which should be the color wire coding convention used as an industry standard for the round 7 pin electrical connector. It will be different that the color coding Chrysler uses.

Text Colorfulness Line Slope Font

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.