Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got our first 2014 Compass today.Too bad the Compass took so long to finaly look like this.I think it looks great!! I had a chance to drive the 2014 Patriot with the 6speed on Monday. I love the acceleration but I wasnt too impressed with the NVH from the engine bay. Sounded kinda loud to me....I will have to drive the CVT back to back for comparison.

I was dissapointed that the Patriot didnt get much of an interior refresh as the Compass did. It also boggles my my mind how Jeep acknowledges the hotness of the saddle interior by offering it on the Compass as a new color while discontinueing it on the 2014 GC :frusty:

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Ahhh. I never thought I'd say this... But the Compass... DAAAAAMN! Way to go Chrysler! This should surly be my first newer vehicle in a few years...

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I like the Jeep logo on the shifter surround.

Every Patriot or Compass I have driven (rentals) exhibited severe NVH.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:

Throw in Caliber

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Yeah it's crazy how they have fixed the interior on the Compass. When I look at my '07 Caliber and the '13 Compass, although platform similarities are there, the materials are light years apart.

Erik Latranyi said:

It seems Jeep designers are getting paid for every Jeep logo they put on a vehicle.

On the Compass, look at the rear tail lights - there is a little Jeep in them too.

TripleT said:
Throw in Caliber
Agreed.

Not just rentals either...

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:

It seems to be inherent in FWD cars. You have the cylinders directly against the firewall, whereas a N-S layout places the cylinders against the fenders, away from the passenger compartment. Every FWD car, even those from Cadillac, has this excessive NVH, on one level or another. Add that to the poorer driving dynamics and I've never figured out the appeal of FWD.

·
Registered
993 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
Yeah it's crazy how they have fixed the interior on the Compass. When I look at my '07 Caliber and the '13 Compass, although platform similarities are there, the materials are light years apart.

It seems Jeep designers are getting paid for every Jeep logo they put on a vehicle.

On the Compass, look at the rear tail lights - there is a little Jeep in them too.
I think that they are getting carried away on the logos thing. I think maybe one or two descreetly placed is nice but come on getting alittle cheesy.

MoparNorm said:
It seems to be inherent in FWD cars. You have the cylinders directly against the firewall, whereas a N-S layout places the cylinders against the fenders, away from the passenger compartment. Every FWD car, even those from Cadillac, has this excessive NVH, on one level or another. Add that to the poorer driving dynamics and I've never figured out the appeal of FWD.
AMEN! I love my RWD 300 with the HEMI (Thank you CDJSalesPro). FWD should be excluded from everything except the smallest and cheapest cars. My father would go back and forth with Chrysler salespersons in the 1980's over RWD vs FWD. Ever tow with a FWD vehicle? The front end pops up and you lose traction. When the new C-bodys were introduced in 1988, he refuses to drive one because it was FWD. I believe I remember when Iaccoca announced in 1990 that Chrysler was going to become an entire FWD passenger car corporation and he killed off the RWD M bodies after 1989.

·
Registered
62 Posts
NVH isn't bad in 200 or Dart, both of which are FWD. I hear Audi doesn't have a lot of NVH problems, either. Come to think of it, I remember driving a Lexus with FWD that was the smoothest, quietest car I had ever been in, period, to that day. Yet my RWD Dart had NVH up the wazoo.

Remember when Compass and Patriot were designed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Joe Normal said:
NVH isn't bad in 200 or Dart, both of which are FWD. I hear Audi doesn't have a lot of NVH problems, either. Come to think of it, I remember driving a Lexus with FWD that was the smoothest, quietest car I had ever been in, period, to that day. Yet my RWD Dart had NVH up the wazoo.

I agree. I think it has much more to do with the engine in those vehicles than the fact that they are FWD.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Joe Normal said:

Good quality design doesn't a poor design has it, of course our tolerance for any NVH shrinks every year.

T

·
0 Posts
Oh no not the FWD RWD rehash again! Old timers, FWD is here to stay. I am 53, so I guess I'm getting to old timer status lol, while there are some vehicles where RWD is better, the vast majority now prefer FWD, and a lot of it has to do with traction in bad weather. Oh and go tell a Honda owner that their cars aren't quiet and vibrate like crazy! lol I only wish our 4cyl engines were as quiet as theirs.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Trailduster45 said:
Oh and go tell a Honda owner that their cars aren't quiet and vibrate like crazy! lol I only wish our 4cyl engines were as quiet as theirs.
You know, my mom has a newer Accord V6, 3.5. The damn thing is louder at all throttle openings than my 1999 300M (also FWD and V6). The wind noise is less, that's about the only benefit over the 300M in NVH.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Trailduster45 said:
Oh no not the FWD RWD rehash again! Old timers, FWD is here to stay. I am 53, so I guess I'm getting to old timer status lol, while there are some vehicles where RWD is better, the vast majority now prefer FWD, and a lot of it has to do with traction in bad weather. Oh and go tell a Honda owner that their cars aren't quiet and vibrate like crazy! lol I only wish our 4cyl engines were as quiet as theirs.
Well balanced engines always make a big difference. Big 4s always seem a little 4s scream. My Charger is silky smooth until the it rains or snows and then I have to tip toe around, turn the traction control off and it undrivable.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Let's see if the Tiger Shark has better balance... Chrysler has not had smooth four cylinders compared with, say, Toyota. Good, just not smooth. The Toyota 1.8 used to be very, very smooth and quiet. Very good NVH. But dull.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
Some automakers have resorted to using tech to quell the noise...like running opposite frequencies through your sound system to tune out engine noise.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,887 Posts
At some point, you may not be able to actually "fix" the problem. There are harmonics that will exist despite your best efforts to eliminate them.

Are "reverse harmonics" through the speakers better/lighter/cheaper then several tens/hundreds of pounds of sound deadener?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts