Allpar Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if anybody has experienced the same problem I have. My dealer has had three attempts to fix a shuddering that I feel in the car when reapplying throttle after letting off. They have told me everything from its normal, to it's carbon buildup on the piston, and they don't feel anything. With my most recent visit they did say they felt a slight shudder but hope that the replacement of my cam sensor would fix it from a separate extended cranking. After picking it up from the dealership, I can say that it most definitely has not fixed the problem. I feel it the most in fifth, sixth and seventh gear. Has anybody else experienced this? If so has anyone found a solution. 2015 Chrysler 200C 3.6 FWD regular fuel.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,725 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Is it an actual cylinder misfire that may feel like a shudder? Or is it a slipping transaxle torque converter clutch that may also feel like a shudder? Their WiTech scan tool should be able to tell them which on a test drive.
Make sure that it has the latest software updates.
If you can't get satisfaction at the service desk, ask to speak with the service manager. Get every visit for this issue documented. Don't take word of mouth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Honestly that's what I'm trying to figure out. To me it feels like torque converter lockup. But it only happens noticeably in fifth, sixth, seventh, and sometimes eighth year. It is only after I've let off the accelerator, let the car coast for a couple seconds and then press the pedal again. No matter whether it's light or heard pressure it shakes in the pedal and steering wheel. It is brief , Maybe a second or so. It almost feels like a vehicle that has really crappy cylinder deactivation and is going back into full cylinder mode. But, I don't know if they've tried the computer while going down the road. I have also contacted the service manager after I did not reach satisfaction with my advisor. According to the dealer, the software is completely up-to-date. I also feel whatever is my issue has something to do with my rough idle. For a V-6 it is not very smooth.

Thank you for your quick reply.

·
Super Moderator
22,725 Posts
This is not true. Many things can't be relied on to set a fault code. Many times it takes a Sherlock Holmes approach. There are professional technicians out there that are wizard diagnosticians
There are published factory diagnostic procedures to follow as guidance without a fault code being present.
Next, ask the dealer to open a STAR case on the issue to get the factory involved with the repair?
If the tech witnessed it, it's there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is not true. Many things can't be relied on to set a fault code. Many times it takes a Sherlock Holmes approach. There are professional technicians out there that are wizard diagnosticians
There are published factory diagnostic procedures to follow as guidance without a fault code being present.
Next, ask the dealer to open a STAR case on the issue to get the factory involved with the repair?
If the tech witnessed it, it's there.

I currently have a request on for the factory rep to look at the vehicle. But I will ask them to open a STAR case. I'll talk to the service manager in a few days. He is on vacation. Like you I know that not every problem has a fault code. But techs are lazy at times. Especially when it is warranty work.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, my 2014 Avenger 3.6 liter V6 with 6 speed automatic has a slight "hesitation"/"shuddering" that occurs exactly as you describe. I notice it mostly when I let off the throttle to make a turn without coming to a complete stop. When I reapply throttle, that's when it happens. It seems like it takes 3 or 4 seconds to come out of it, and then it accelerates strong. I have seen this discussed online, so I know it's not juse my car. I have never talked to a mechanic about it because I always assumed it was part of the factory settings and any attempt to fix it would fail, or even mess things up worse and be a money pit.

·
Super Moderator
22,725 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. There is a TSB released in 10/16 for 2012-2014 JS w/3.6L addressing driveability and shift quality improvements. See Chrysler TSB # 18-102-16A.
It should be covered under your 8/80 extended federal emissions warranty. This is where to start.
Have you ever serviced the transaxle fluid and filter? Use ATF+4 only.

Reactions: wolfsblood07
1 - 9 of 9 Posts