Allpar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a 2015 Charger RT at about 10000 miles the car started hesitating, a 2 second delay when i hit the gas. The first shift every morning is always erratic, and it feels that the computer can figure out what gear the car should be in. I have taken it to the dealer 4 times and its been flashed four times, a day or two after the flash the hesitation and shifting issues come back.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hello I have a 2015 Charger RT at about 10000 miles the car started hesitating, a 2 second delay when i hit the gas. The first shift every morning is always erratic, and it feels that the computer can figure out what gear the car should be in. I have taken it to the dealer 4 times and its been flashed four times, a day or two after the flash the hesitation and shifting issues come back.

Thanks Mike

What do you mean that, “it feels that the computer can figure out what gear the car should be in”?

If you are not satisfied with the repair - ask to speak with the dealership service manager, explaining the problem and the repair attempts.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts

Thanks Mike
I personally noticed a hard engagement during initial movement after startup. I took it as the trans not up to temp yet, and never considered bringing it in. Always went away. Was this how your issue started? I’m curious if I should be concerned

·
Super Moderator
7,070 Posts
I personally noticed a hard engagement during initial movement after startup. I took it as the trans not up to temp yet, and never considered bringing it in. Always went away. Was this how your issue started? I’m curious if I should be concerned
I had that too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What do you mean that, “it feels that the computer can figure out what gear the car should be in”?

If you are not satisfied with the repair - ask to speak with the dealership service manager, explaining the problem and the repair attempts.
This condition happens at part throttle, less than half way down. While driving you apply the gas and there is a hesitation, the far comes out of gear then slams into a lower gear an the car jerks, like there is a problem in the with the rear end or ujoint. I brought the car to one dealer three times for this issue and went to a fourth dealer and they all told me that the car is "operating within the normal specifications". they all flashed the components and reset the adaptives. The service manager even took the car overnight to see they can replicate. My magnum with the hemi and the 5 speed trans was much more responsive and smoother than the 15 charger and the 8 speed.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,274 Posts
I would suggest calling Chrysler's 800# and get them to open a case #. Inform the dealer(s) you are doing this to help them and are not being critical of their work. There may already be a Star Case opened with a similar issue. This definitely does not sound normal.

·
The "Front-Line" Perspective
3,245 Posts

Thanks Mike
My Charger does this every morning. The first shift after coming out of the driveway has the RPM higher than normal, then a clunk shift into second. Honestly it doesn't concern me in the slightest, as it does it on the first shift and I'm certain it has to do with just getting warmed up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did that too, i had a case open in November and they had the car at the dealer for a couple
My Charger does this every morning. The first shift after coming out of the driveway has the RPM higher than normal, then a clunk shift into second. Honestly it doesn't concern me in the slightest, as it does it on the first shift and I'm certain it has to do with just getting warmed up.
I am ok with the first shift. what is bothering me is the hesitation when hitting the gas and the part throttle issues.

Would the scat pack stage 1 PCM fix this? I really like the car and want to fix it.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,496 Posts
There is a TSB # 18-033-17A that was released in May 2017. It addresses a 'buck or delay feeling during low speed driving'. It also improves the MDS mode (cylinder deactivation/reactivation) transition that may be felt as a buck or hesitation by the vehicle occupants. Has the PCM been flashed since then? This software upgrade should be covered under the 8yr/80K mile extended Federal emissions warranty:
https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/TSB/18-033-17A.pdf
Shift points will be later during cold weather when first driving. This is normal. It is intentional and programmed into the software to give a quicker engine/ATF warm-up.

Reactions: SportSuburbanGT

·
Registered
497 Posts
Mine is a V6 and has started doing the same thing since it got cold. Smooths out very quickly as the operating temperature rises.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is a TSB # 18-033-17A that was released in May 2017. It addresses a 'buck or delay feeling during low speed driving'. It also improves the MDS mode (cylinder deactivation/reactivation) transition that may be felt as a buck or hesitation by the vehicle occupants. Has the PCM been flashed since then? This software upgrade should be covered under the 8yr/80K mile extended Federal emissions warranty:
https://chrysler.oemdtc.com/TSB/18-033-17A.pdf
Shift points will be later during cold weather when first driving. This is normal. It is intentional and programmed into the software to give a quicker engine/ATF warm-up.
This sounds like what my car is doing. How can i see if this has been applied to the car? It has been in the dealer 4 times for this issue starting in spring 2017. It feels like the delays and buck feeling is more pronounced after the car has been driving for long periods 45 minutes or longer.

Thanks Mike

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,496 Posts
This sounds like what my car is doing. How can i see if this has been applied to the car? It has been in the dealer 4 times for this issue starting in spring 2017. It feels like the delays and buck feeling is more pronounced after the car has been driving for long periods 45 minutes or longer.

Thanks Mike
Check your repair order documents after the 5/5/2017 date to see if the flash was done.
If you don't see it written down, it probably hasn't been done. Sometimes a label is stuck to the PCM or somewhere under the hood with the new PCM part #, date and the dealer code.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check your repair order documents after the 5/5/2017 date to see if the flash was done.
If you don't see it written down, it probably hasn't been done. Sometimes a label is stuck to the PCM or somewhere under the hood with the new PCM part #, date and the dealer code.
I have a software flash 1 (Software flash for PCM) on an invoice on may 10, but there is no mention of what TSB it was. is there a way to see it in diag mode? BTW the car is completely stock.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ran into a guy today with a 2015 RT Road and track that is having the same experience as i am. My charger is a RT Road and Track car. could this issues be isolated to the RT RT package cars? I see all these posts about how amazing the 8speed auto is, could there be a glitch with the RTRT config?

thanks Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update. I was able to get the throttle response and erratic shifting resolved. I purchased the Mopar Performance scat pack stage 1 ECM. the throttle responds faster and the transmission shifts smoother and crisper. the car odes not feel confused after a long session in stop and go traffic moving under 20mph. before the ECM swap you could press the gas to the floor and release in less than 2 seconds and the motor would not react. When i do that with the new ECM the motor revs and the car takes off. I have not felt the bump from behind when slowing down either.

I did this change for the improvements in throttle response and shifting. They say its also good for some more HP, but I cant see that, but it feels like a different car, much more responsive and consistent.

I bought it from Steve White Motors.

Its a shame this ECU is not part of the stock package on this car.

thanks Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts