Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm Looking to run a lot of wire for my LED emergency lights and I'm wondering if there is a way to run wire through my firewall (Should I make a hole) under my dash and how do I take my console out? Any know what I should do?

·
Registered
968 Posts
You tube "Dodge Charger patrol vehicle complete install". It's for an older car, but all wiring should be similar. I'm sure there is a comprehensive video of a console removal out there. Good luck, hope this helped

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
590 Posts
I'm Looking to run a lot of wire for my LED emergency lights and I'm wondering if there is a way to run wire through my firewall (Should I make a hole) under my dash and how do I take my console out? Any know what I should do?
Firstly, since the battery in all Chargers is in the trunk, any upfitting is done not through the firewall, but the rear seat/trunk.opening.

If your car is an SE "retail" car, not a Charger Pursuit, you will have to hardwire - with fuses and/or relays - any of your electronics directly to the battery.

Charger Pursuits have a Vehicle Systems Interface Module that is utilized to control power to a primary control device, and for headlight/taillight flashers, etc. With this kind of car, it's best to find an upfitter to properly incorporate your equipment into the interface - with the net result being a fully tested, largely plug-n-play installation.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
590 Posts
If you have a legitimate "need" for the lights, and you haven't already modified your car, perhaps it would be better to use the right tool for the job: Trade it in for a Charger Pursuit.

·
Super Moderator
37,232 Posts
Firstly, since the battery in all Chargers is in the trunk, any upfitting is done not through the firewall, but the rear seat/trunk.opening.

If your car is an SE "retail" car, not a Charger Pursuit, you will have to hardwire - with fuses and/or relays - any of your electronics directly to the battery.

Charger Pursuits have a Vehicle Systems Interface Module that is utilized to control power to a primary control device, and for headlight/taillight flashers, etc. With this kind of car, it's best to find an upfitter to properly incorporate your equipment into the interface - with the net result being a fully tested, largely plug-n-play installation.
Yep there is a separate PTIM (police and taxi interface module) on a true police Charger (or Magnum) so you don't have top splice into other circuits and risk electrical damage.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I'm sure any of those LOUD car audio installers can help you out.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
The factory wig-wags, etc. were all done by the TIPM and PTIM controllers using the existing wiring harness. There was no drilling to route extra wires AFAIK.

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
590 Posts
The factory wig-wags, etc. were all done by the TIPM and PTIM controllers using the existing wiring harness. There was no drilling to route extra wires AFAIK.
Correct. Originally called the Police Taxi Interface Module on the LX units, then VSIM on the LD Pursuits.

Greatly simplifies upfitting by routing all electrical/electronic accessories through one master control, nearly eliminating the old splice n' solder method of hacking. No more burning up a squad due to poor electrical work.

Precisely why I offered the opinion of using the tool offered by Dodge - the Charger Pursuit - and trading in an otherwise valuable passenger car (provided it hasn't already been hacked).

As far as using a stereo installer for this kind of work .... Not a good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts