Allpar Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
What ImperialCrown said. Also, as far as "Chrysler crap"... this model transmission is actually a Hyundai model. In addition to just about ALL auto transmissions built in the past decade or 2 being "sealed", without a dipstick, welcome to globalization! My last vehicle with an actual Chrysler transmission was a 1997 Chrysler Concorde. My '06 Charger Daytona has a NAG1 5 speed auto from Mercedes. Our 2015 Jeep Patriot 4X4 has the Hyundai trans. My '21 Durango GT Plus has a ZF 8 speed. While built by Chrysler, it is designed and licensed by German ZF. NONE of them has a dipstick! Each uses a unique ATF.

As for cost of the SP-IV M Mopar fluid required for the Patriot 6 speed, use Google on the p/n 68171869AB and you will find plenty of Mopar parts places listing a gallon jug for between $50 - $55. Even buying a couple jugs is just over $100. For something you maybe have to do once or twice during ownership, cheap insurance for maintenance.

Oh, and DO NOT buy into the BS that just because an ATF advertises itself as "synthetic" and "compatible with all makes/types", it really is compatible with either ATF+4, SP-IV M, or the ZF 8-9 speed stuff. Each is VERY UNIQUE. Might it work? Possibly. Want to risk $1,000s on having to replace a fried trans? Your $$$$. Same goes for many independent repair shops that stock bulk trans fluid, then tell you all they need to do is add a bottle of magic elixsor to it to make it compatible for your trans.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,957 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
What ImperialCrown said. Also, as far as "Chrysler crap"... this model transmission is actually a Hyundai model. In addition to just about ALL auto transmissions built in the past decade or 2 being "sealed", without a dipstick, welcome to globalization! My last vehicle with an actual Chrysler transmission was a 1997 Chrysler Concorde. My '06 Charger Daytona has a NAG1 5 speed auto from Mercedes. Our 2015 Jeep Patriot 4X4 has the Hyundai trans. My '21 Durango GT Plus has a ZF 8 speed. While built by Chrysler, it is designed and licensed by German ZF. NONE of them has a dipstick! Each uses a unique ATF.

As for cost of the SP-IV M Mopar fluid required for the Patriot 6 speed, use Google on the p/n 68171869AB and you will find plenty of Mopar parts places listing a gallon jug for between $50 - $55. Even buying a couple jugs is just over $100. For something you maybe have to do once or twice during ownership, cheap insurance for maintenance.

Oh, and DO NOT buy into the BS that just because an ATF advertises itself as "synthetic" and "compatible with all makes/types", it really is compatible with either ATF+4, SP-IV M, or the ZF 8-9 speed stuff. Each is VERY UNIQUE. Might it work? Possibly. Want to risk $1,000s on having to replace a fried trans? Your $$$$. Same goes for many independent repair shops that stock bulk trans fluid, then tell you all they need to do is add a bottle of magic elixsor to it to make it compatible for your trans.
Wrong site to trash Chrysler/Jeep, I previously owned a '96 Grand Cherokee Ltd and had to tie the driver's door shut. Should have !earned my lesson but ended up buying the 2015 with 18k kms because I needed a trailer hitch. Hard downshift, like clunk, will try local dealer for service update on TCM. Thanks for expertise.
thanks a lot! I will.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts